PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marcmorano

Lurker
Feb 16, 2024
Question about car pipes. I live in a hot humid environment in the summer with temperatures in the car easily exceeding 100° f and high humidity. And in the winter it can get cold maybe in the teens and twenties fahrenheit. Would putting a briar pipe in your car year round cause damage to the pipe by contraction and expansion extreme temperatures up and down humidity? Because of my concerns, I store a corn cob pipe in my car instead. But is it safe to keep a Briar pipe year-round in a car under those weather extremes? Thanks

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
You might find the fitting of the stem to change during the seasons. For example with me, stems on pipes I leave out in my shed get looser in the 70%-80% humidity and tighter in the 20%-30% humidity winter. Though I keep relatively stable temperate there, I don't control the humidity.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
Many here believe briars are impervious to moisture and temperature. It all depends on the structure and relative humidity of the pipe. Many will be OK. Some will not. If you're worried about the pipe, don't keep it in the vehicle.

Reactions: bpinkstaff

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I just take a loaded pipe and a pouch with me when I get into the car. I do keep my one and only Brylon in the arm rest compartment. I only use the car occasionally, and much less than 2,000 miles in a year. I hate sitting in traffic almost as much as I dislike traveling in heavy traffic. Also, my car is 24 yrs old. It's got 75K on its 4 cylinder 16 valve engine and chassis and runs like a Swiss watch. It's a Toyota Corolla.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I just take a loaded pipe and a pouch with me when I get into the car. I do keep my one and only Brylon in the arm rest compartment. I only use the car occasionally, and much less than 2,000 miles in a year. I hate sitting in traffic almost as much as I dislike traveling in heavy traffic. Also, my car is 24 yrs old. It's got 75K on its 4 cylinder 16 valve engine and chassis and runs like a Swiss watch. It's a Toyota Corolla.

The don't make em like that anymore.

Those old Toyotas are something special.

Reactions: newbroom

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I keep a pipe in the console of my truck, up to two weeks at a time. I’ve had no issues with briars, but I’ve had to get new stems for every MM cob I’ve left in the console in the heat (summer: 110-115* 20ft of the tarmac in the shade at the weather stations-bunches hotter in the cab of a black truck that lives outside).

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I owed some money to a friend who owns a commercial garden Center, and one of the things I gave him for this was a pretty Savinelli quandale. He smokes it while working on his bonsai trees in the greenhouse, and keeps it there. A year later that pipe looked like discoloured trash from the light Exposure. Cars are basically little greenhouses, I’d definitely keep it in the glovebox, and not a nice pipe…

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
One thing I've learned: in urban areas at least, keep all smoking related items out of sight. I also learned that the price of a side window of an '83 Buick Century is a little less than the deductable of the policy I had at the time.
I learned that the hard way myself and I live in the burbs.

Reactions: grimpeur