PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Ive been smoking pipes for a couple year now on and off. When its colder out Im trying to smoke more pipe because I can smoke it in the house without stinking the place up. I have a hard time keeping the pipe lit though. Ive tried tons of different things and I just cant figure it out.
I've tried different humidity's with the tobacco, to the point it was crispy, different packing methods, packing tight packing lose, different pipes. It all seems to turn out the same. Basically I light I get good smoke for a little bit, I try to go slow but the pipe either does, or nearly goes out requiring me to puff 3 or 4 times to get it going good again. If I set it down for any amount of time it ill almost certainly go out. Also it requires nearly constant attention, tamping puffing to keep it going. What ends up happening is I smoke too fast, go through the bowls fast, the pipe gets hot, no tongue bite though, and I get a ton of moisture. Sometimes the first half of the pipe smokes ok but once I get past halfway its a struggle to keep going.
I know Im smoking too fast but its the only way I can manage to keep the pipe going.
Any tips? Any idea on what I could possible be doing wrong?

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I have a few, I have a Grabow that I don't really use much anymore because it needs to be reamed. I have a couple Cayugas from Pauls pipe shop, a Brebbia and an old Kaywoodie 13b...all seem to exhibit the problem to one extent or another.....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few, I have a Grabow that I don't really use much anymore because it needs to be reamed.
...all seem to exhibit the problem to one extent or another.....
So one thing I'm wondering is how clean are these pipes? Is the airway clean so that the draw is open? A dirty airway will affect performance.
BTW, what tobacco are you smoking? Members here are pretty knowledgeable about the burning characteristics of different varieties and may have some help for you in that direction.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
I keep them fairly clean. Most were estate pipes I thoroughly cleaned and dried before I smoked. The Cayugas and the Grabow were new.
Right now I'm smoking Virginia's...a straight Virginia I got from Pauls and also a mclelland Virginia 35. I was smoking some stonehaven too. A lot of the other stuff I have is a lot of latikia....I also got some PA too just to see if I could keep that lit and I have basically the same issue with it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
There is nothing really wrong with a re-light. I am a clencher, meaning I drive and sit with my pipe lit in my mouth, and there are lots of times that I'll take a call or just plain forget my pipe is in my mouth and it will go out. Are you doing a charring light? Go through the motions of lighting the pipe, then tamp it down lightly making the burned bit of tobacco and ash on top and nice and level, then relight the pipe. I found doing a charring light all but eliminated the need to relight..... Unless I forget it in my mouth. lol At which point I do another light tamp and relight.

This came from the "Complete Corncob Primer" and while I rarely smoke cobs I have found it very good advice with any type of pipe.

Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack it looser than you think you need to.

Smoke it slower than you think you need to.

Tamp it less, and more lightly, than you think you need to. Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

And realize that becoming an accomplished pipe smoker will take time, patience, and trial and error.

loki993

Lurker
May 10, 2012
Maybe I need to pack even looser but when I pack loose I get no draw to get the tobacco going. If I smoke slow I would have to relight every time because it would go out on me.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
I’m sure there are many other posts on this subject, but I will offer some information, probably repeating much of what already has been said here or elsewhere.
Relights are a fact of life with pipe smokers. How many per smoke? Fewer relights come only with experience. And there are too many variables. Among them:
The moisture level and cut of the tobacco - it should not be too wet or too dry. Ideally, it should be ‘springy’ and ‘spring back’ when pinched – not possible with all cuts, i.e. cube cut, plug. Some cuts are simply best gravity filled in a pipe.
Relights will be less once a pipe has been broken in and has formed a cake.
Relights will be more frequent towards the bottom of the bowl if moisture collects there, especially true of new / newer pipes. As such, don’t hesitate to run a pipe cleaner through a pipe during a smoke as many times as you feel necessary.
The shape of the pipe also comes into play. Pipes having smaller diameter smoking chambers and deeper bowls will generally require more relights, again towards the bottom of the bowl. One of my favorite shaped pipes is the lowly and much maligned POT. The reason? Pots have larger diameter and shallow bowls. This ever so practical shape, by design, requires fewer relights as it gets more oxygen to feed the fire and doesn’t have to go as far down in the bowl. I will only add that, IMO, a pot must have a 1” bore to be termed a pot. Anything less than a 1” bore and it’s a saucepan.
Whatever method you use, don’t over pack a pipe, except near the top. Pack it ‘more loosely’ rather than ‘more tightly.’ It should have the same draw as a straw, i.e., a modicum of resistance. As Russ Oullette notes at his web site, “…..there are two principles that are vital for any method to work, “The tobacco at the bottom of the bowl has to allow for free airflow; and, 2.) The tobacco at the top has to be packed firmly enough to stay lit.”
And when you light the pipe, LIGHT IT! Ensure you light all of the tobacco. Tamp it down lightly after the false or charring light. For some blends, you might even need two or three charring lights and some light tamps. Regardless of the shape of the pipe, when lighting, hold the pipe with the bowl rim perfectly horizontal to the floor. This will prevent charring of the bowl rim in the area directly above the shank.
Try smoking Prince Albert or Carter Hall in a MM corn cob pipe. I swear these blends have an accelerant in them. I’ve laid a cob down many times with these blends and come back 15 minutes later to find the pipe was still going.
Smoking a bowl of tobacco to its completion without a relight should not be the goal of any pipe smoker, except for those who enter pipe smoking contests. Those who accomplish this on a regular basis are either very skilled or, as I suspect, are working too hard at pipe smoking, “thinking” too much and perhaps smoking too fast rather than deriving simple pleasure from the pipe. Personally, I welcome relights. If my tobacco burns out during a smoke, I tamp the tobacco down, run it through with a pipe cleaner, place the pipe on a pipe rest and wait about five minutes until it cools a bit, then relight it. Some of the most pleasurable puffs I get from a bowl of tobacco are on the first few puffs of a “cooled pipe” that needs a relight, especially towards the middle and bottom of the bowl. This is what I call “Very Short DGT.”
On the other hand, one little tip that does work in keeping a pipe lit is the “bellows method” that is akin to the bellows that blacksmiths used to keep their fires going. Other pipe smokers most commonly call this method ‘breath smoking.’ I prefer the former as I believe it provides a better picture of the method.
During the course of a smoke, and every now and then, , simply blow / breath LIGHTLY down the stem into the bowl then draw on the tobacco as you would usually do. Repeat this “out (blow lightly) – in (draw lightly) procedure occasionally as you smoke and you will avoid some relights. Some seasoned pipe smokers do this unconsciously, especially those smokers who like the nasal aroma of burning tobacco as the “bellows method” or ‘breath method’ is an effective way to get that “extra dose” of nasal (tobacco) aroma.
Smoking a pipe is one of life’s little pleasures to those of us here, not a job in trying to keep a pipe lit.
A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I suspect, are working too hard at pipe smoking, “thinking” too much and perhaps smoking too fast rather than deriving simple pleasure from the pipe.
I couldn't agree more with this. I mean the whole post in general, but this resonated. The time when I get the fewest relights is when i'm walking the dog with it clenched in my mouth with my mind elsewhere.
I'd say it could be partially cause you're worrying about relights too much so you're paying it too much attention. This is partially why all my briars are straight, so I can't see it burning, and I therefore don't even think about it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
+1 on mrdottle
Pots form a significant portion of my collection because they work with just about everything. One additional note, to avoid singeing the rim, moisten it with a little saliva just prior to applying fire.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sable has good advice ,wet the rim so lighter doesn't char the rim. Now I"m gonna go against the grain here, works for me. I smoke a lot outside on the farm. With the winds you gotta pack tighter , Now the secret, light that Boger red, don't just pass a little flame over it, light, char light, tamp down evenly, then fire it up again like you're mad at it, roll the smoke. It's got to be burning.works for me.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Brad makes a great point...it usually takes me 3 times between tamping and relighting, before I have my bowl good and lit..besides..tamping and relighting is all part of the process and enjoyment....enjoy working your flame and the time spent with your pipe

poopdeckpappy

Lurker
Jan 24, 2014
Hello all, I have learnt so much from all of you, sitting back reading your problems and your fixes has made my

Pipe smoking experience that much more enjoyable. For that I thank you all sincerely.for those having issues with tobacco staying lit or packing a bowl correctly I have found after long trials and errors that the basic three step bowl packing procedure that they discuss on this site in detail should be perfected before moving on to more advanced

Packing such as needs to be done with flake. Yes,if you don't puff often enough it will go out...thank God for matches

This isn't a cigar and it isn't a race it's a ritual so relax and enjoy the learning and with some persistence the dividends will be enormous.

Happy smoking landlubbers

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I did have similar experience before. It was cause by fast smoking. If I smoke fast that make tons of moisture

inside stem, shank, even bottom of chamber. And then moisture block airflow became smoke goes out at half of bowl even I did tamper a lot. I did solve this problem with slow smoking and pipe cleaner. Around a half bowl smoke

I used pipe cleaner through stem and take out moisture. Main key is "SLOW SMOKE". It make more enjoying also.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I just recently took up pipe smoking after having a dismal failure at it about 35 years ago. Of course back then there was obviously no Internet and the plethora of available help and information that is available now, such as this forum site, that is at ones fingertips these days.
Back then I simply thought that one packed the bowl, gave it a light (well... maybe one or two more) and that was it. I was "chasing the ember', as it were, and quickly got discouraged when I failed at it. I even got somewhat discouraged when the very same thing happened again upon my recent quest, but I quickly got over that. I guess I thought of a pipe as something akin to smoking a cigar back then with blooms of smoke.
Bottom line... I now, finally, realize that is not what pipe smoking is all about and I do not become concerned when my pipe goes out, which happens quite frequently, but so be it. Of course when it so happens that at times I find I'm having to re-light my pipe about 6 times or more I then simply blame it upon myself as to not having a particular tobacco drying out enough, or more often than not, poor packing on my part and simply chalk it up to lack of experience, shake it off, and not let it discourage me. Also, for what's its worth, I give about 3 to 4 quick 'char lights', with a small rest between each, then lightly tamp it before I finally light it up. When it happens to go out, I lightly tamp it down and then re-light. I personally dislike filters and find them a pain in the ass as I prefer to occasionally run a pipe cleaner thorough the stem while smoking, but that's just me.
Then again, I'm retired and only, at this time, smoke about two bowls a day so I'm in no rush. Take it easy, don't 'chase the ember' and relax. After all... that is what smoking a pipe is all about. :wink:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Reading this article was a pivoting point in my years of pipe smoking to finally understanding what I had been doing wrong for so long.
The Thermodynamics of Pipe Smoking
It explains so much. For example:
"...I am more aware of my own moderation of my smoking style and how important it is to match tobacco density in packing with the engineering of the pipe being smoked. Those pipes with more open draws require denser packing and more modulated sipping of the smoke stream. Most importantly, I am now aware how important it is that I refrain from periodically super-heating the tobacco when I light and re-light."
Who would have thought that too much heat would lead to too many relights? But it all makes sense.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
I went to a pipe group at my local tobacco store last night....as a beginner I was watching the experienced smokers. They tended to have several, intense char lights followed by some feather light tamping. Then, when they lit up seriously it ranged from a short, direct light from a lighter to several intense lights from matches or lighter. But the "smoking" light was not tentative.
But they all still had to relight from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.