PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Okay I learned something quite awhile back....From famous pipe you-tuber pipefriendCHS...I would always use my lighter to re light, when i did not see a lot or embers.I now only use my lighter 2 times per real large bowl.I save a lot of butane by using my pipe poker. I thought the tamper was the most important part...but i now use my poker,when the pipe seems like it goes out--do a circular poke at the top of tobacco and do a circular stir along the top edge of the tobacco that you thought went out and whahlah..it's lit.Just thought I would share my experience.Happy smoking!

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Comes with time in mate. 30 yrs now on da pipe. When its slacking off, tap out loose ash and simply relight. enjoy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but i now use my poker,when the pipe seems like it goes out--do a circular poke at the top of tobacco and do a circular stir along the top edge of the tobacco that you thought went out and whahlah..it's lit.
It's a technique called ember chasing.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I don't really have problems with relights anymore. Only that very last bit of tobacco seems to go really persist going out.
I think most problems with relights come from too moist tobacco.
Dry tobacco (I dry it in the oven, seems to be the best way for high humidity places) is the secret for me.
Also, something else that does the trick for me to avoid relights is making the initial ember very solid and hot. Not just igniting that tiny bit and go on smoking it in a hurry like you're late for some appointment.

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
My main experience is with cigars and those require a relight at times. Still new to the pipes and finally today the pipe had the right pack and the first light seemed to keep it going. Granted I was in the doorway and when I stepped outside completely the embers really took off, so much so that I had to cover the top of the pipe. I did the ember chase about halfway through the bowl and that worked for a bit. One more lighter touchup and finished off the bowl. It was like a plan that came together, finally.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
+1 lawdawg :D -- peanubutter-- when I think my cigar is out I have tried what another fellow told me years ago....blow though it instead of inhaling...and it usually relights. :idea:

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m a pretty new pipe smoker, maybe 4 months of dabbling. About a month of real serious smoking. I can already say I worry about relights so much less even than when I started. As many others have said, when it goes out just scrape the soft ash out, give it a little tamp, and off you go again. However, I do agree that it’s nice to keep the bowl lit and gently puffing away for 20-30 minutes at a time. I haven’t tried this “ember chasing” technique but I’ll try it out next time I think about it.
In my super limited experience I’ve found that a lot of factors go into something as simple as keeping it lit. For me it’s moisture content, how much I rub it out, how I pack the bowl (specific technique and/ or just how tight I pack), and my tamping technique. The first time I got it right was such an amazingly enjoyable and flavorful smoking experience with no stress, it was like Nirvana. I say just tinker with how you prepare your bowls and you’ll find what works right for you for each different blend. It’s all about the journey and learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.