PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Hey all, I’m a meerschaum noob as you can probably tell by the numerous meerschaum questions I’ve been posting lately. I’ve heard that once a meerschaum is colored if it is not smoked frequently will lose its coloring. I usually smoke 1-2 bowls a day but plan on increasing for a period of time to color my new Altinay coming in the mail. For health reasons, I’d like to cut back on my smoking a bit once my meerschaum is somewhat colored, perhaps every other day. Is there any tips you have to keeping the pipe colored when smoking is less frequent?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
If any of my meers lost any color from disuse I didn't notice it, so it couldn't have been much if it happened. Leaving it on the dash of my truck though, that's another story. Rapid and drastic.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I picked up a meerchuam pipe today to finally test out a coloring bowl I was given a couple years ago, testing how long it takes to color it and if the bowl aides it along.
Thanks for keeping me posted! Ive always been curious about the coloring bowl. Ultimately its a pipe for smoking but I am curious on different coloring methods.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Hey all, I’m a meerschaum noob as you can probably tell by the numerous meerschaum questions I’ve been posting lately. I’ve heard that once a meerschaum is colored if it is not smoked frequently will lose its coloring. I usually smoke 1-2 bowls a day but plan on increasing for a period of time to color my new Altinay coming in the mail. For health reasons, I’d like to cut back on my smoking a bit once my meerschaum is somewhat colored, perhaps every other day. Is there any tips you have to keeping the pipe colored when smoking is less frequent?
You need to smoke a meerschaum a few hundred times to really see any sort of coloring. It has to be smoked thousands of times to get to be anything even approaching brown. Don't worry about the coloring and just smoke it.

Reactions: paulfg

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
When not smoking keep it out of bright light.... especially florescent which will bleach the color out. But on the bright side, if you wait long enough keeping it in the dark, the color will return. Don't ask me how this works, it just does. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the more meerschaum questions the more I wonder how I got the one I did. That thing colors and stays colored noticeably after one smoke. I hardly use it and it isn't even close to one hundred smokers. I guess what I am saying is the fun of coloring a meerschaum isn't the results it's seeing what the hunk of rock does.