PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Can't say enough good things about my trip to KC for my first pipe show. The drive up was worth every minute. Figured I'd share some pretty photos of my proud new additions to the collection :D
Jerry Crawford Bent Billiard. I saw this one and it was love at first site. Even though I'm not buying a lot of blasted pipes these days, the American carvers really outdid themselves with the selection they had available. Jerry nailed this traditional English style pipe by a long shot. I spent a bit of time smoking and talking pipes with Jerry and decided I had to have this one. Ran two bowls through it so far and it's an amazing smoker!
crawford-billiard-web.jpg

Ryan Alden. I can't say enough good things about Ryan and he's definitely getting the recognition he deserves. He had some amazing pieces and of course was one of the well deserving winners for the carvers contest set. His blast work is amazing and I had to have this one.
alden-pipe-web.jpg

Ser Jacopo. I have always wanted a Jac and have never picked one up. Found these two gorgeous estates in Mr. Rod Margherio's huge selection of pipes. Both Maxima size at prices too good to be true. The pics don't do them justice.
serjac-lovat-web.jpg

serjac-rhod-web.jpg

Castello. I love Castello and have been itching to add a third one to the collection. Ten minutes in to the start of the show this one caught my eye and I dragged my heels on it till the end of the show. Couldn't let it escape. This is a massive piece of briar. My whole thumb fits in the bowl. It will hit the spot when I need a nice and long smoke!
castello-pot-web.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Nice batch of wood you picked up, pardner!
And it was a pleasure meeting and visiting with you at the show, msandoval858. I am looking forward to making a trip to Austin to join you and your fellow Austin Pipe Club members for a smoke or two.
Pipestud

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Great haul! Thanks for sharing them with us. I'm glad to hear you had a good time and did so well with your new additions!
-- Pat

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
That Castello looks great. You made the right choice picking it up. Thanks for sharing.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Those look really good. All would be welcome in my smoke cabinet. Glad you had a good time at the show. The KC or Vegas show would probably be my first one someday.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That's quite a haul Mike. I also love the look on Ryan's pipe. I hope they are all great smokers.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have to hope that the publicity that Ryan will get from be a winner of the Carving Contest will really kick start his career. It was a real emotional moment when I handed him his check for being a winner. You could see this was really a big moment for him.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sweet pipes. I know a couple carvers from the pipe club here in Abq were out there. Anyone pick up a Don Warren pipe or perhaps a Victor Rimkus pipe? If so, I would love to see some pics!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Thanks for all the comments. Very proud of this batch if fine briars for sure.
I took the Castello for a test drive tonight. Now that my tongue has healed abit for the insane amount of smoking I did while enjoying the show, I was anxious to see how this beauty performed. Holy crap that thing has a huge bowl. Will take a dent out of a tin full of tobacco real quick. Loaded up with some Lane BS-005 and got lost in an hour and a half of Latakia goodness. Loving it!
The real question is when can I bring myself to smoke that Alden... Just so pretty sitting there on my pipe rack :)

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
You did good picking up the Alden. Great blast and the stem colors go with the stain and shank color perfectly.
The Crawford is also very nice. Of all the pipes you could have chosen you found a couple of excellent pipes by real artisans. Jerry also has been a GKCPC winner.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Mike, it was great to get to know you in person buddy! Glad y'all made it there.

KCGhost, getting paid is ALWAYS an emotional moment around here :lol: It was really great to finally put a face to your name as well.

Smeigs, I didn't see Don there. I suppose it's possible I missed him ?? Victor and Nathan Rimkus were both there but I didn't get any pics of their work.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice group of pipes, really handsome. The Jerry Crawford stands out for its simplicity and

beauty of design. There's not much more that can be done with a bent billiard, except

this has an air of originality. Excellent pick.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Jerry Crawford's bent billiard that I picked up really is something special. I am drawn to classic English shapes more than anything and there's something about this pipe that just has that flawless execution that Jerry was able to pull off with it. Having the opportunity to hang out with Jerry and share a smoke and talk pipes made the whole experience that much cooler too! I really don't think the pic does it justice. Even more impressive was that I received many compliments from the other carvers about what a great pick that pipe was.
That's not to say I didn't get compliments on your pipe, Ryan. After I took it from you I quickly hid it in my hotel room so that no other jealous pipers would try to run away with it! :rofl:

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
You came back from the show with an empty wallet!!!!! LOL

Fantastic selection of pipes that you bought, and the Crawford Classic Bent is magnificent. Something about Classics that are always appealing, especially if they are well proportioned like the one you chose. As for the Ser Jacopo pipes, those are some great early Coral Dot logo pipes. You have fine taste my friend. Congrats. :clap:

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
OK, finally got a chance to get over to Msandovals for some pictures of mine:

Brebbia 602 I picked up brand spanking new:

t6su62Jl.jpg

Peterson Mark Twain from the 80's (this one looked good on the outside but needed some serious cleaning, I'm still not done could use a few more retorts.

3OhuRGPl.jpg

Brigham Heritage #29 from Mr. Brian Levine

hKh9lUvl.jpg

And of course my best deal was this barely smoked Savinelli Autograph 5

1veqljUl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.