PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Can anyone help me with this piece? The only thing I can seem to find is a 1929 ad from the Saturday Evening Post. Which is great for dating help but doesn't really help me with a rarity or value or if these have a following. I have never even heard of these or have never seen one before so I took a chance and grabbed it. Interesting stinger, the thing is a weapon. I know the Drinkless stamp on the stinger is sought after in pipes and adds some value. The holder is in magnificent condition.
The nomenclature pic isn't great - it says "DRINKLESS" TOBACCO-YELLO
P4270002.jpg

P4270003.jpg

P4270004.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Pete-

That's a great score! I'm not sure of value, but I think they are uncommon........ I've spent far too many many hours on e-bay, and have only seen a few. I have a meerschaum version that came in a lot of pipes. Cool piece!!...... :puffy:

xrundog, our resident KW guy should have some insights..........

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Kaywoodie made lots of those. Cigar holders as well. In briar and meerschaum. That's an early Drinkless. Mid 20s maybe. Nice shape too.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I believe the KB&B tobacco-yello cigarette holder was launched in 1929, and gather that it remained in production for about 25 years. It sold for a buck in the late forties and early fifties. According to Worthpoint a couple may show up on ebay in an average year. As xrundog says, lots were made. Yours is a nice speciman.
The attachment was touted by the company as "the most revolutionary improvement in smoking since the days of Sir Walter Raleigh", and the advertising slogan proclaimed its ability to "Eliminate Tobacco Yello". A booklet was distributed by the KB&B explaining all the features of their "radical innovation" but I've never seen one.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the info - hopefully more posters will chime in. Love the case in the ad - wish it still had that. I think the Drinkless stamp on the stinger dates it as early, at least if it holds true like it does with pipes. It is a sweet piece - can't decide if I should keep it or move it. :)

kyrob

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2011
They pop up every so often, and I'm pretty sure that stinger is the stinger they used on all their holders. There was an older Kaywoodie cigar holder with an amber stem and case that sold a week or so ago that had the same stinger.

Status
Not open for further replies.