PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
As far as I know they only used honey. I'm sure others will chime in that are more knowledgeable. Nice pipe. I have a 50's or 60's era Yello-Bole zulu with a white stem.

Reactions: Brew&Briar

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
it is pretty natural finish
Awfully red for natural. Briar tends to be a dull, pale tan until stained. As for the bowl coating, it's supposed to have real honey as a component, but whatever else they added to it turned it into an almost plastic. Hard to remove.

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Awfully red for natural. Briar tends to be a dull, pale tan until stained. As for the bowl coating, it's supposed to have real honey as a component, but whatever else they added to it turned it into an almost plastic. Hard to remove.
You are probably right - could have a red stain.. its the same color as most pipe I own, just glossier..

I am contemplating trying to ream out the "honey" – not sure yet.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You are probably right - could have a red stain.. its the same color as most pipe I own, just glossier..

I am contemplating trying to ream out the "honey" – not sure yet.
Man I've tried to get that stuff out, it's rough! Sandpaper may be a good option.?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Leave it alone. I have seen plenty of well smoked estate Yello Boles and when you clean out the cake, that coating is still there. That coating may be around longer than you.
I've never been able to get that stuff out.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
According to the president of S.M. Frank, Bill Feuerbach

"Our black bowl lining is a mix of thick natural shellac (3 1/2 pound cut) and FDA approved coloring. Black for use in Kaywoodie and Medico and yellow for use in Yello-bole. The shellac when warmed will get tacky and help the ash adhere to the walls of the chamber and help the initial cake start building up."

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Leave it. I sanded the coating out of a pipe once and it didn't go well. For some reason, after smoking the pipe, the outside finish started to go bad... bubble..degrade. And it was a high end pipe. My guess is that the carvers use the coating for a reason. Don't know what the reason is...perhaps a carver on this forum will chime in?

Have smoked a vintage (new at the time) Yello bole and the coating didn't present problems. Nice pipe by the way, enjoy as is in my opinion.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I wonder if shellac is what was used when Yello bole started in the 30's. I have thought it is was likely "waterglass" mixed with some coloring. Which would keep flawed pipe bowls from burning out. Back then I dont' think the FDA would have been involved with pipes.

Reactions: trubka2

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
According to the president of S.M. Frank, Bill Feuerbach

"Our black bowl lining is a mix of thick natural shellac (3 1/2 pound cut) and FDA approved coloring. Black for use in Kaywoodie and Medico and yellow for use in Yello-bole. The shellac when warmed will get tacky and help the ash adhere to the walls of the chamber and help the initial cake start building up."
Mmm, delicious shellac... All my Yello Boles are from before Frank bought the company (1955), so I don't know if it's the same stuff, but whatever it is, the pipes smoke fantastically well. It sure seems a whole lot harder than shellac.

Status
Not open for further replies.