PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
That's part of my reasoning. And part of why people cutting them off irritates me, when they're older pipes.
Rabble rabble.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I enjoyed a smoke from it at work late last night. Kaywoodie makes a fine pipe! The stinger is totally managable for me. I would like to ask some suggestions for a non-goopy aromatic to use in it though.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Some of the very early Kaywoodie fitments were made with just splines on the fitment inserted into the stem. Newer pieces are threaded. Either way, if you wish to remove them it's not hard to put the fitment onto a heated coil on your electric stove and unscrew it, or pull it out straight if it has a spline fitment. Just don't overheat the fitment or it will damage the stem. Personally I never remove them, being a collector of Kaywoodie pipes. If I want a push tenon stem with no fitment I buy and collect the new Kaywoodie Handmade Pipes, IMHO they are fabulous pipes and smoke like a dream. And a bargain to boot.

Doc

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Thanks, Doc. I love the way my Kaywoodie smokes. It's a little like my Triumph motorcycle. I'll look at it and say, "What the devil did they do that for?" then I'll ride it and say, "Oh yeah, that." I can see myself buying more vintage Kaywoodie pipes in the future.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Baron,

As for non goopy aromatic blends, the choices are limitless. My personal recommendations would be Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hoggarth flakes, or L.J. Peretti blends. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them. But as anyone will tell you, everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes concerning flavorings. Best to sample several blends to really find what you enjoy most, but the ones I mentioned you will find to be goop free!!!!!

Good luck in your search.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.