PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Just got this Kaywoodie. I'm sure it says 73 A on the bottom,Late 30's?.
Been looking for one for a while just liked the shape. looking forward to cleaning this up.s-l1600.jpgvddvfd.jpg

Reactions: davet

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a stealth Meerschaum. I would have to look closely to know it had a Meer lining. Those were huge during the late 1950's on the commuter train platforms with the gents waiting for the 7:55 planning to board the smoking car. If you can imagine that.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
You can distinctly see the line of the meer insert. That will take some heavy cleaning. The two digit number system is later, and that series of pipes was made from 1958 to 1968, but the number is undocumented as a shape thus far. What does it say under the shape number?

Reactions: anotherbob

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
You can distinctly see the line of the meer insert. That will take some heavy cleaning. The two digit number system is later, and that series of pipes was made from 1958 to 1968, but the number is undocumented as a shape thus far. What does it say under the shape number?
Can't make it out, i haven't recived it yet. But will update when i get it. thanks for the info.

Reactions: BROBS

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Definitely look forward to what you find there. You have a definite oddity. The placement of the stem logo puts it before 1950, and the 2 digit system after the late thirties. I conferred with Bill, and he is missing the catalogs from 1941 to 1946 and likely comes from that era.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Definitely look forward to what you find there. You have a definite oddity. The placement of the stem logo puts it before 1950, and the 2 digit system after the late thirties. I conferred with Bill, and he is missing the catalogs from 1941 to 1946 and likely comes from that era.
Thank you for that info. Great stuff for the time & effort. ?

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
Just recived the pipe in the post. under the 73 A it says, Made In France.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Well ill be darned, there was some meerschaum under all that cake. What did you do to clean the meerschaum bowl? I have heard alcohol is taboo in a meerschaum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always like to recall that into the 1950's Kaywoodie was a premier pipe, that cost more than the Dunhill line, and it is worth noting that Kaywoodie still makes a highly smokeable pipe well above its price point in quality. I'm glad to see this grand old example of a Kaywoodie given a second life.

Status
Not open for further replies.