PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunner777

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
Missouri
I used to give little thought to Kaywoodies but I happened upon a couple of older ones from the 1930's and late 1940's. Was I ever blown away! I did some checking and found that Kaywoodie pipes were considered as good as Dunhills and any other high end pipes.

Since then I have been on a non-stop quest to find older Kaywoodies. I love the things! I wondered if anyone else collects them as well?

I just picked up another one this afternoon a Magnum with a heck of a blast on it!

laearl

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Alabama
Congrats on the find! The Kaywoodie is a real nice pipe, certainly the older ones. I have been on the look out at my local antigue stores for a nice one. For the money they cannot be beat.
This site, Kaywoodie Information , has tons of info on Kaywoodies.
My first pipe was a old briar Yello-Bole billard by KBB. As far as I could find it was a pre-1936 (guessing). I found this snippet on the above site, "pre-1936 Kaywoodies were stamped (on the shank) with a cloverleaf around KBB" and this is exactly how my pipe is stamped.
It is a grand old pipe. Beautiful birdseye and cross-grain with one fill, but a yellow acrylic stem that sets off the stain. Not too bad of a smoker if one goes slow. It prefers drier tobacco as it wants to gurgle. I am not sure if it is due to the stinger or me drawing to fast /facepalm. I still like it and reach for it often.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I have not owned any Kaywoodies but have been on the lookout for the older ones. I stumbled upon this thread over at brothers of the briar where one of their members created a PDF of Kaywoodie information. I found it very helpful and interesting to read. Link is here.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My none of my browsers will open PDF files.

If you right click on the second link listed, then select "download linked file", then save it to somewhere in your pipe files.

You can open it then (assuming you have PDF capabilities).
I will read it very soon. I looked through it, and it looks fascinating.
Thanks for the link Wallbright.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
laearl, that link is neat and thanks.
From the Collector's Guide, all I want for Christmas is that "Kaywoodie Presentation Collection" and I'll be happy! lol
Also, that "Chinrester" gave me chuckle.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
The link I posted is the same information laearl did but in a downloadable PDF form.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I was just looking at that Wallbright. There is a ton of info that is laid out a little bit easier to read in the PDF. I downloaded it. Thanks for the link!

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
Hey, gunner777...If you are collecting Kaywoodies i have one of the metal Kaywoodie Filter pipes you can have.

gunner777

Lurker
Oct 2, 2010
Missouri
Thanks for the info guys I very much appreciate it. You know I have a friend who opened his pipe shop in 1952 so you know how old he is now!

We were talking about Kaywoodies and he told that back before about 1955 Kaywoodies were as good as any Dunhill or other high dollar pipe. They bought 100 tons of top quality briar at one time and aged it for over ten years right after WWII when you could get Briar again. He also said back in the early days up to the late 30's a lot of them were hand made.

I know my older ones look a great deal like the same age Dunhill as far as wonderful blast etc.

We have a great time sitting behind his counter talking for hours and sampling very old Druquers and other tobacco up to 50 years old tobacco he had set back from a very long time ago.It kinda makes me uneasy when he pops a tin open that's that old! Lot's of fun!!
Phil

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I have an unsmoked Kaywoodie I got some time ago, complete with box and receipt from early 50's. I bought it beacuse i really like the design. It's a white painted briar with a streamline look

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
oh I forgot the picture
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/pipmannen/album/picture/1174

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
Yes it surely is a bit of an unusual shape. I decided to keep that one unsmoked :)

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Makes me think of a battleship or destroyer, being so streamlined. I saw a different white Kaywoodie on ebay a while back. Almost purchased it before I looked really closely at the pictures. It was in very bad condition. That however, is beautiful. May it's presence bring you joy for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.