PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
My first eblay acquisition. Hopefully in the mail on the way to me. I saw on the web where the 500's were made from '57 to '68 I believe. Is there anyway to tell it's age more exactly? Thanks. (hope the pic shows up.)
$(KGrHqZHJFEFGBVGsV1sBRoV+KvqJg~~60_57.JPG

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
The churchwarden seller did not state what it is made of. I am assuming pear? I figure it will be a fun and hopefully cool smoker. I don't expect much for nine bucks.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
That is a nice color finish on the pipe. Good question about the year. However, all information on the interwebs can really only narrow down the range from '57-'69. The '500' series was a lower end pipe during that span of time, but doesn't appear that one could actually determine the year made.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Quite the score! Hope you enjoy :) Kaywoodie pipes are great smokers. I have a Kaywoodie YB that dates back to the 1940s and I absolutely love it.
-Frank

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
I am smoking my first bowl of baccy out of my 500 as I type. The pipe is nearly perfect. No chatter on the stem, a little cake, no dings, just a little discoloration around the top of the bowl. Almost too pretty to smoke. It is a number 69 Large Pot. Wow what a bore size. It really does smoke smooth. I think I need to acquire another pipe soon. How to make the wife understand?

vamike

Might Stick Around
Jun 2, 2013
Blue Ridge Mountains
Ok, the Kaywoodie has a horrible soap taste. Tried two bowls of Carter Hall and it didn't improve at all. Doing the alcohol and salt soak now. Will try again tomorrow. :(

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice Kaywoodie - congrats. I own a Kaywoodie and tried doing some research some time ago. There's lots of info out there, but some of it is contradictory. Anyway, here's what I have in my notes:
Serial numbers:
2 numbers indicate 1930s-1950s

3 numbers indicate 1970s-80s

4 hole stinger Kaywoodies are from 1955 or earlier

3 hole stingers were from 1955 until today
And More:
Check the Shape Numbers. If the pipe has a 4-digit shape number, the pipe is probably of "pre-1936" vintage. If the pipe has a 4-digit shape number and does not have the threaded fitment, it is probably from before 1925.
The pre-WWII Kaywoodies had elongated white cloverleaf logos and large screw-in fitments (with the possible exception of the pre-1925 and "export" Kaywoodies, which had no fitments).
Some of the pre-1936 Kaywoodies were stamped (on the shank) with a cloverleaf around KBB. Sometime between 1936 and 1947, the better pipes were marked with a black cloverleaf inside a white dot. However, because many of the pipes in the 1968-69 catalog still show this type of logo, the black-in-white logo merely indicates a "post 1936" vintage.
The cloverleaf logo: the round logo (black cloverleaf in white circle or white cloverleaf in black circle) was first used in 1937. Up until the late 40's this logo was used on all of the upper grades pipes. The concomitant use of the plain white cloverleaf and the disk inlaid logo continued untill the early 80's.
Up until the late 1940's/mid 50's, the logo was on top of the stem. After that the logo was moved to the side of the stem.
Current (Italian-made) Kaywoodies have the "white outline" logo.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Vamike, I've heard that bribing a wife with jewelry, flowers, or candy the same day a PAD or TAD box shows up in the mail helps them be more understanding. If you try it, let me know the results.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thanks for sharing your Kaywoodie notes, Six. I've steered away from Kaywoodies because there's so many of them out there and I know so little about them.
VAMike, that's a nice pipe you got there and please know there are ways to make that snoring go away.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.