PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Hello. I just received C&D's Dreams of Kadath. It has an interesting aroma and taste, and I'm trying to work through this "kitchen sink" blend. There is something I truly like about it, and I DO want to like it. Who out there has smoked this blend, and what do you think of it. Please describe your experience with this one. Thanks

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Your journey to Kadath will not be an easy one. Before you descend the steps into the Dreamlands, prepare yourself with this fragrant blend of dark-fired Kentucky, Katerini, Perique, Virginia, Burley, and Black Cavendish...

Kadath is an ancient city in HP Lovecraft's novels that houses the dream gods and whose precise location in the universe is uncertain. There is even confusion over whether it exists in the dream-world or the awake-world. To my taste, the tobacco blend is just as odd as the fictional city itself. Crumble cakes are always fun to play with but the musty red wine flavor really threw me for a loop. It's definitely way outside the box of my usual smokes. I suspect that the Katerini leaf may be responsible for the decayed fruit flavor, and may in fact be the intended main point of the blend, however, I left the experience feeling like I somehow just didn't get it. That's all good with me though, because I do appreciate both Lovecraft's work and the kick ass song titled Kadath, presented here and now for you listening pleasure....

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
It’s a hard nut to crack as far as I’m concerned. I enjoy the tin note, and love the room note, but the smoke flavor is definitely complex (or confounding). The main thing that I’m left with is the strength: it’s given me the sweats and left me somewhat nauseated. I still have maybe half a cake left in a jar to age further, though it was already 2 years old when I cracked the tin back in the spring. I’m not close minded to it, but it’s not something I readily reach for. Maybe I should try mixing in some blending Latakia next time?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nice blend with a lot going on. I have about a dozen tins of away that are at least two years old now. Need to pop one and refamiliarize myself. Kind of reminded me of Penzance without the latakia. The Virginia and orientals were the dominant players to me with the Kentucky complimenting nicely with some body and oomph.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I enjoyed the smoke, though it's been a while. I remember apple cider. However, it is the one and only blend my wife has ever said stinks. I've smoked pirate cake sitting right next to her on the couch, and she never even blinked. She's never complained about anything I've smoked except Dreams of Kadath. I don't remember much about the smoke, but I do remember it not being good enough for me to want to stink up the house.

Mar 29, 2016
I got one tin from a member of the pipe club in Bucarest, Romania. It came not as a cake but coarse cut leaves with a smell of plum aquavit that was very present in the tin. I still have half a tin with less aquavit smell and I use a grinder to make it smokable. Even though I' not a huge fan of C&D I really like this mixture along with Pirate Kake and Billy Budd.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed the sample I was sent, a lot of quiet subtle complexity. I kept thinking it would dawn on me as a must-reorder blend, but it just kept being interesting and elusive.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I like the tobacco more than I like either Lovecraft or Grindcore. But I don't love the tobacco. I don't hate it, either.

Some of the notes suggested here resonate with my experience of it:
Plum, grape, rum, musty red wine, rotting fruit.
All of these are getting at it.

I think that what's confusing is this:
Typically, when flavors don't harmonize, they clash.
If we don't like what a set flavors do together, we DISlike what they do together.

But Kadath brings together a number flavors that neither harmonize nor clash, and it leaves our brains straining to process and categorize what we're experiencing.

I intend to keep going back to my plug, every once in a while, for a change of pace. Maybe it will come together for me one of these times. I guess it's interesting and likeable enough that I still want to do that.

I hope I didn't sound like it was a negative. I love Dreams of Kadath. I just finished a tin the other day, and I only have a few left. It is definitely a unique blend, but I really like unique. I mean, I don't like Captain Black Grape, but it does have that smell, but if you decant or air it out (as I do most blends), it's not a straight up grape flavor in the smoke.