Just Watched Father the Flame - Any other Documentary Recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
loved father the flame! curious if theres any other good documentaries out there regarding tobacco or pipe smoking. any recommendations would be great. thanks!

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
There may be some old ones out there, but my guess is just about any "modern" production is going to be about the evil's of tobacco. There is a reason that Father of the Flame needed private funding to be produced.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
There may be some old ones out there, but my guess is just about any "modern" production is going to be about the evil's of tobacco. There is a reason that Father of the Flame needed private funding to be produced.
Achtung, in the years to come all these kind of tobacco promoting contents are gonna be strictly verboten here in the EU, law bill is upon for that , yet more to come, Public Libraries are due to remove all them tobacco promoting books and all video material out of them shelves, eventually those books&CD are to be sold out as unnecessary and outdated material

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
i guess i understand why investors would be weary of producing a film that celebrated tobacco, however there are COUNTLESS shows/documentaries about craftbeer or even marijuana. i imagine its more the subject material. Lets face it, pipe smoking its trending lately and hasnt for a long time. Regardless, i still wanna see more show/docs simiar to f

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
"needed private funding to be produced."

Pretty much all movies are privately funded. That's what producers do...they find investors.
Warren - True. I guess I should have been more specific. Maybe "main stream" would have been a better choice of words. Given the current anti-tobacco movement, my guess is finding any main stream funding source would be a challenge for anything that promoted or "glorified" tobacco.

You guys need to get out there and write books, make movies, promote smoking. Screw them removing things from the libraries. Who cares, and how many people even go to a library nowadays? The last time I went, I was the only person in there, and I think the librarian was dead. puf
Unless they are China, they can't stop what is posted on the internet. And, even in China, they can get around the walls.

jmd110

Lurker
Feb 22, 2013
The current negativity toward smoking, apart from dryness at home, is why I only smoke inside. I smoked on my porch for a time, but comments from neighbors led me to realize I needed to go inside.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I remember watching a Richard Carleton Hacker VHS tape in probably the mid 90's. "Ultimate Pipe Video"?

There's video of tobacco farmers and blenders working on YouTube, but nothing with the vision and production value of Father the Flame.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, Ken Burns was real close with PBS to do a documentary on tobacco in the US, starting with Jamestown.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yeah, Ken Burns was real close with PBS to do a documentary on tobacco in the US, starting with Jamestown.

Why did it fall through? He basically did one on alcohol with his “Prohibition” documentary.

I was speaking t.i.c., as I couldn't imagine anyone making a film on tobacco- though, come to think of it- he'd be the one to do it if anyone could.

Status
Not open for further replies.