PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Awesome! I don't smoke as much Latakia as I used to, but I still really enjoy them when I fire one up. Here are some of my favorites:

- Balkan Supreme (as good as anything on this list and a killer value!)
- Bengal Slices
- Rattray's Red Rapparree
- H&H Larry's Blend

GL Pease is one of the best blenders of Lat blends and I really like: Maltese Falcon, Blackpoint, Kensington, and Spark Plug.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Love Bob's, but I don't get any Latakia from it while smoking it, and maybe once when sniffing the pouch. I think the Latakia that's there brings the mixture together though, it's masterfully added since it's usually very conspicuous.

On topic, If you continue like my journey has been, expect to go on a several year long Latakia kick, then you'll come 'round to the Virginias and Burleys and high quality, tobacco-forward flavoured tobaccos, now I'm having trouble with anything having more than 30% Latakia, ever since smoking GLP Gaslight it somehow broke my tolerance of Latakia-strong blends. I find it overpowers everything else, even in my beloved Nightcap (which supposedly has 50% Lat). A fantastic crossover for my tastes is Samuel Gawith's Balkan Flake, sweet and smokey.

Semi off topic, I was looking at Old Ironsides, as on paper it looks like a cheaper alternative of Balkan Flake, but I always see it in the context of Lat-bombs, which I'm really not interested in. What gives?
Yes, I threw that one in there as an oddball, even though it’s only 8% Latakia, it is a blend that I believe everyone should try, just on principle, so I throw it on every list I can, haha.

While it is certainly light, I do clearly taste the Latakia in it, which in my mind qualified it for the list.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
You've got some good ones on here already, but I'll add:

C and D Engine 99
Early Morning Pipe (or one of EMP replica blends...I currently have HH Daybreak in the rotation)
C and D Billy Budd (a stronger blend with Latakia and cigar leaf)
HH Magnum Opus
HH Blackhouse

My go to Lat blends these days are MM 965 and SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve, but I slowly rotate through about 8-10 blends I have jarred up.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
If you're just breaking out of OTC's and aro's you're about to embark on a spectacular journey. Make sure that you enjoy the process of exploring different blends and genres of tobacco rather than obsessing about finding that perfect smoke. There are functionally zillions of fantastic blends to try and I gotta say, I'm jealous. Oh to be a virgin again...

I agree with Wolflarsen’s assessment here. You’re about to cross into the deep end of the pool! I also recommend exploring the main genres and having fun with it. Don’t take it too seriously, you might not taste those nuances of toast and grape skins that you read in reviews. That’s fine!

My first Latakia experience was with Balkan Sasieni-it’s good enough, and pretty cheap as far as English blends go. You’re going to get inundated with recommendations here, everyone has their own favorites that we’ll all insist you try.

I’d say, look for the “classics,” the blends that are perennially popular in each category of tobacco, and start your journey there!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yes, I threw that one in there as an oddball, even though it’s only 8% Latakia, it is a blend that I believe everyone should try, just on principle, so I throw it on every list I can, haha.

While it is certainly light, I do clearly taste the Latakia in it, which in my mind qualified it for the list.

Absolutely!! And to come to Lakelands with an open mind!

Some great recommendations here, generally the members of this forum know their stuff and are extremely generous with their knowledge. Pipe smoking is an amazing journey, but it has one issue: it's bad for the bank account!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
New to pipe smoking. Have been mainly trying out otc blends and aromatics and have liked most of them. Got ahold of some hybrids, including HGL and some Sutliff Aro/English. Smoking the HGL now and even though I guess it's a "weaker" English, I may have found my new passion. Looking forward to trying something a little stronger. Where to go from here?
My first taste of Latakia was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard from 4noggins.
At the time I described the bag note as 'asphalt, burnt rubber and butt'.
Thinking, do people smoke this crap? off course I had to try it.

The taste was intriguing but too strong so I mixed it 50/50 with Windsail Virginia.
One small bowl at night was nice, two was one too many.

So it took me a while to acquire a taste for English blends.
I'm not a fan of lat-bombs but really enjoy Latakia when it's used lightly.

SPC Plum Pudding and Mississippi River are both very good.
One blend that's in my regular rotation is a blend of London Squire, a mild English, and Mark Twain, an aromatic. [When making your own blends, leave them jarred for several days before smoking]

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Love Bob's, but I don't get any Latakia from it while smoking it, and maybe once when sniffing the pouch. I think the Latakia that's there brings the mixture together though, it's masterfully added since it's usually very conspicuous.

On topic, If you continue like my journey has been, expect to go on a several year long Latakia kick, then you'll come 'round to the Virginias and Burleys and high quality, tobacco-forward flavoured tobaccos, now I'm having trouble with anything having more than 30% Latakia, ever since smoking GLP Gaslight it somehow broke my tolerance of Latakia-strong blends. I find it overpowers everything else, even in my beloved Nightcap (which supposedly has 50% Lat). A fantastic crossover for my tastes is Samuel Gawith's Balkan Flake, sweet and smokey.

Semi off topic, I was looking at Old Ironsides, as on paper it looks like a cheaper alternative of Balkan Flake, but I always see it in the context of Lat-bombs, which I'm really not interested in. What gives?
I've noticed that a few have mentioned that they've burnt out on Latakia after smoking Lat-bombs for a while.
It sounds like too much of a good thing.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Personally, I like a number of the GL Pease English/Balkan blends, especially Abingdon, Westminster and Blackpoint.

I agree. GL Pease has done as much as anyone to expand latikia blends beyond the traditional boundaries established by Dunhill, Rattray, and Sobranie. He has his version of those styles too, but also ventures well beyond.

Quiet Nights, Meridian, Caravan, and Kensington are each worth trying in addition to the blends mentioned above. I think it's fair to say you could explore Pease blends for a good long while and not get bored.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's an awfully lot of them out there. Everyone has their own favorites, and everyone's tastes are different. And, indeed, your own tastes will evolve over time.
Allow me to suggest the following as a way to begin exploring, based on the fact that you enjoy HGL.
Go to TobaccoReviews.com. Read the reviews of HGL. Find a reviewer or two who enjoys it a lot, and then see what other latakia blends they enjoy. That may give you some things to try.
Enjoy.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Welkome to the dark side!

There are so many wonderful latakia blends around to try...
But you could start with the classic Dunhill mixtures now made under the Peterson label to get an idea of the type you like best:

- Standard Mixture: for a mild latakia balanced with the orientals
(My Mixture 965 works also well for a mild example but sweeter)

- Early Morning: more on the oriental side and less latkia

- Nightcap: heavier on the latakia (but not a lat bomb) and a pinch of perique

They're easy packing and easy smoking blends and a good starting point.