PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
And it was a very nice trip of discovery. My wife and I based ourselves in a hotel just outside of Santa Fe so we could visit friends and see the sights of New Mexico. I had never been and was fascinated with just about everything I saw there from all the historical sights to the museums as well as a performance of Bizet's "Carmen" in the open air opera house in the high desert. Everyone we met there was extremely helpful and friendly.
My old Doc Grabow "Starfire" went along for the trip and I enjoyed many bowls of Sutliff's "County Cork" after dinners. I chose that blend thinking it would be a treat for any bystanders around and I was not mistaken. A younger guy came up to me to let me know when he smelled that aroma it immediately reminded him of memories of his deceased uncle. (I resisted the urge to suggest that I may be smoking his deceased uncles's estate pipe)
I only saw one other pipe smoking gentleman during those ten days. Unfortunately circumstances were not favorable for a conversation at the time but I was happy to see another piper out there in New Mexico.
So now I'm home with a brand new Peterson Harp Rhodesian to get acquainted with as well as a new load of estates to refurbish. Oh...and back to work tomorrow.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Sounds like a great trip and I'm glad you're back safe and sound with new finds.
I really like the area just north of there too, up by Taos ... beautiful country.
Did you happen to eat at Tomasita's while you were there? Great food!

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Sante Fe is a town I want to return too badly. We went when I was 13-14 to visit my uncle there. He passed away year before last, and I would very much like to return to see it again.

B

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Still have some of that from my uncle. He always sent local foods and spices at Christmas. Incredible stuff.

B

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There is so much to see in New Mexico that it would take a lot longer than the mere ten days I had to experience it all! We did manage to get up to Taos for only a day trip. Here's a pic from the Taos Puelbo:
TaosPueblo_zps4f971b9f.jpg

My wife is of Spanish heritage, so she was primarily interested in seeing things related to the Spanish Colonial Period. We spent our last day at "Las Golondrinas" which is a sort of working ranch showing how people lived in those days. The Mexican and Native American influences were also there, of course. My wife took a lesson at one of the looms:
weaving_zpsf8640684.jpg

I learned a lot of history. I never knew before that a Civil War battle had been fought near Santa Fe,

The Battle of Glorietta Pass..
Cobguy, my wife at Tomisita's once while driving up to Las Vegas for a journalism conference a few years ago and enjoyed it then. I confess I'm a woos when it comes to spicy heat. I did have some carne adovada at a restaurant called The Pantry just south of Santa Fe. I also had a burger at "The Santa Fe Bite" in old downtown that had green chiles on it. That I could handle!

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I love New Mexico if I had a job in my field there I would pack and move tomorrow

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I love Santa Fé. I've been there many times over the past 35-40 years as I have family there. The Santa Fé Opera is a treat! J and I will be heading back there next summer, barring unforseen circumstances.

New Mexican cooking is second to none. So many great places to eat! My favorite is Tia Sophia's. Not much to look at, and the help can be a little surly, but the food is the real deal!

Even though the Plaza has succumbed to being a tourist trap and has been "Californicated", there is so much to see and do. And New Mexico has the most beautiful skies in the US. It's a photographer's paradise.

Congratulations on enjoying the Land Of Enchantment!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been told there are many "alternative" folks living in Santa Fe.
Well, there are the native inhabitants. There are descendants of the Spanish colonials, there are Mexicans from the south and smattering of "New Age" mystics and artists here and there. I can only tell you that everyone I met without exception over the ten days I was there was very kind, helpful and eager to show me their beautiful state.
And yep, the skies were amazing, particularly in the afternoon when the thunderstorms began to roll in.
Politics wise, they definitely have some problems and challenges,just like most other states.

Status
Not open for further replies.