PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have been researching Barling pre-transition pipes and until I get one, I found this Bewlay 1912 bent sold from England.
I've been reading quite a bit about old Algerian briar-stuff that has been in the ground for nearly 150 years and then aged for many more years in bins. Until I get a Barling, I'm anxious to try this one.
bewlay%201912.JPG

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Sorry--not sure what I'm doing incorrectly with dropbox. I will work on it.
Here is the ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221531707932?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A very nice old pipe! And coming from Alan, I'm sure you will be very happy with the condition the pipe is in. Well done!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Thanks guys
I had not heard of this maker before and I'm anxious try to try it out
There is much discussion regarding older vs the newer briar and I'd like to find out if I can tell the difference

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi Allan
Your pipe is on its way to you and I hope you gain much enjoyment from it. If you have any problems, please send me a PM.
Bewlay were the largest chain of tobacco and pipe retailers in the UK at the time your pipe was made - the pipe having been given their branding.
I have just written an article on my blog regarding the hallmarking of pipes, in which your pipe features, which may be of interest to you. As the blog is on my site, forum rules do not allow me to post a link to it here. But seeing that it is an informational article only, perhaps dmcmtk or sablebrush can help you out with a link.
As well as the article, have a read over the great comments.

May 31, 2012
What a great pipe,

congrats!
It's a very fine example and I'd reckon quite scarce for one so old and in such fine condition.

I have a couple of later-era Bewlay's and they are magnificent burners!
Alan always does it up proper too, so you're good to go.

I have a patent Parker from him and it has served me very well, like a champ!
All of Alan's blog entries are worth reading,

good stuff!

http://estatepipes.co.uk/pipeshop/blog
What amazes me about your pipe is the depth impression of the stamping, wow...

aXHHY3x.jpg

...they really did a good imprint. I've never really thought about this, but I wonder exactly how much bearing the briar hardness has on stamping impressions? The olde Algerian stuff was said to be soft, would the stamping depth on this pipe be a clue that it is indeed that stuff?
Here's a few pix of old Bewlay shoppes, they had a ton of them everywhere, just imagine your pipe on the wall within,

more than one hundred years ago!
YErv8LX.jpg

5034b9dc338b0-649_7.jpg

Dr0Bjac.jpg

9fA4fn9.jpg

CKBNvMB.jpg

2f4hMwy.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Troy, great images from a time gone by! Cool Art Deco facade on the second floor to the right in the first image.

May 31, 2012
No doubt, the Park Lane shop is massively cool!
I wish the window displays could be better seen,

what wonders lay within!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Troy and Alan
Thank you so much for the comments, info and pictures
When I have a chance I'm going to check out the blogs
I didn't realize I bought the pipe from a forum member, reborn briar, with an impeccable reputation
I am now officially exceptionally excited!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Just wanted to give an update on the Bewlay pipe I ordered from Reborn Briar.
Just received it yesterday, in nearly pristine condition (it is nearly 100 years old)
Reborn did a great job in reaming and cleaning the pipe. I did absolutely nothing to it-checked it with a pipe cleaner and it really was pristine.
I've smoked three bowls in it already, even though my personal rule is to try to rotate with only 1 to max 2 bowls before setting in the rack.
I did not know that the pipe had a 'round' hole at the end of the stem (I know there is a name for that, but I can't remember) which initially disturbed me. The stem is not totally round which would make it unsmokeable because I clench and it would be too uncomfortable. But it has a 'flat' for me to grab onto.
This pipe is just great. It smokes completely dry and of course, no break in necessary!
For anyone remembering my short posts, I'm searching for old briar to determine whether it matters about the stories of ancient briar in the ground and aged for years, vs. modern pipe makers who don't have the selection of the bygone era.
With this first pipe, I won't make a complete judgment; but so far, I think there may be something to be said for ancient briar.
We'll see.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Allen,
Congratulations on the Bewlay! Whoever made it, you can be sure that its manufacture was top of the mark. The type of bit that you have is called an orific bit. Flattened openings, whether oval, or rectangular, are called semi-orific. In 1912, orific bits were still common, and remained so thru most of the 1920's. By the late '20's orific bits were out of fashion. The flatter profile is more comfortable.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Orific, interesting. I've been calling them "ovoid". I had a older GBD with that style of button and it didn't agree with me. (Lestrout owns it now, I believe he find them to his liking).

Dec 24, 2012
Allan, use photobucket. It is free and it literally takes me seconds to save and post a picture.
That is a gorgeous pipe and a perfect shape. I am anxious for a full report on how that extremely old briar smokes compared to a modern pipe.
When I grow up I want to be just like you.
Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.