PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
One of the fascinating things about pipe smokers is just how we handle tobacco. A lot, me included, believe that a smoke is better if the tobacco has a period of drying time. But when we get a hold of some dry vintage tobacco, the first thing said is "You got to rehydrate that bad boy." I need to rehydrate so I can dry it to smoke. We are strange creatures.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
One of the fascinating things about pipe smokers is just how we handle tobacco. A lot, me included, believe that a smoke is better if the tobacco has a period of drying time. But when we get a hold of some dry vintage tobacco, the first thing said is "You got to rehydrate that bad boy." I need to rehydrate so I can dry it to smoke. We are strange creatures.
I may rehydrate it just a little,but not in a hurry to do it...it smokes great..Flavor is there...definitely can taste the vintage taste over 35 + years old...I started smoking pipes since 1987 it may be coincidence that at that year Carter Hall was sold from R.J Reynolds to Middleton...This pouch is likely even older considering the box it was in..I still.remeber tobaccos tasted like this in 80s..Will never forget how original Balkan sobranie tasted neither...

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
it looks old and weird and not particularly concerned with aesthetics but more with durability and smoking. I say it should be called the beast. you do not see stems like that on the regular.
smokes fantastic and taste fantastic...chamber is in a great shape ...good old briar..Real horn mouthpiece is amazing ...may be a little less durable as acrylic but colors on it and feel is amazing..well it does not have a name yet so I may call it the Beast..

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
smokes fantastic and taste fantastic...chamber is in a great shape ...good old briar..Real horn mouthpiece is amazing ...may be a little less durable as acrylic but colors on it and feel is amazing
love it. Like I said it really seems like it was made to smoke first and how it looks was the might as well make it look nice.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Pretty interesting smoke...There is still R.J.Reynolds on it instead of Middleton so it should be pre 1987 packaging..Bought it at antique store in Montana.Tobacco is dry but not to the point it can't be smoked..very interesting flavor...never smoked Carter Hall beforeView attachment 123036View attachment 123037
Love the cowboy hat! Can’t see the top; is it a Gus shape?

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I have a can of half-and-half that has tobacco in it and still has the paper seal on it. I’ve never even thought of smoking it? Maybe I should pop that baby open and give it a try?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I have a really nice 5X cowboy hat that needs to be reshaped. But it’s really hard to find anyone in Boise to do it. I’ve never shaped a cowboy hat myself?
I couldn’t make it to the Boise pipe club meeting tonight. Maybe next month.
is that a Texas Ranger company a replica badge? All in all a very cool hat!

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I have a really nice 5X cowboy hat that needs to be reshaped. But it’s really hard to find anyone in Boise to do it. I’ve never shaped a cowboy hat myself?
You want to just change the crown? Try calling local Western stores to see if they have someone to do it.
If not, I've changed my own crown from cattleman crease to flat (like Roy Rogers). Get a kettle boiling and run the crown over the steam from the spout until it's soft, then shape how you want and let it cool/harden. You can reshape the brim this way also. Just redo it if you don't like the first shaping.
I've heard you can stiffen the brim and hat by spraying on a mix of half shellac & half alcohol (as carrier), but I've never tried that.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I have a can of half-and-half that has tobacco in it and still has the paper seal on it. I’ve never even thought of smoking i
I have a can of half-and-half that has tobacco in it and still has the paper seal on it. I’ve never even thought of smoking it? Maybe I should pop that baby open and give it a

I have a can of half-and-half that has tobacco in it and still has the paper seal on it. I’ve never even thought of smoking it? Maybe I should pop that baby open and give it a try?
it depends on you...I was thinking about it as antique but decided to smoke it and I am not sorry...If not me likely somebody else would do it...