PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For the young folks and even those into middle age who may not remember the great original Mayor Richard J. Daley (not to be confused with his son, a later Mayor Daley) he was the only Irish gent in public life who spoke with a hard edge Polish accent, which I always assumed was from growing up on the streets of Southport (a neighborhood). Since he was a reputed king-maker and a staple in the party smoke-filled rooms, he was once asked if he wanted to run for the Presidency, and he demurred, saying, "I'm just a hometown boy with a hometown touch." In fact, he was both a hero and a villain, capable of great benefits for the citizenry and dark mischief. He seemed to be into power but never so much money and always lived in his home neighborhood. I bet police protection there was impeccable. Ah, Chicago.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It was Bridgeport not southport. But the rest is correct. There are a lot of reasons to hate this city but I love living in the heart of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jefff, I never get that right, Bridgeport not Southport. If I remember correctly, there is a Southport neighborhood, but that's irrelevant. The Port of Chicago is at the lakefront and nowhere either of these neighborhoods. Richard J. had an incredible skill in balancing and occasionally besting really powerful and dangerous factions, some of them deadly. He was too good a political operator to liquidate. The bad actors needed him. As did many others. One of the last of the big city bosses.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
A friend of mine recently told me about this event. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago. I live in the city itself now. I might go on Saturday and see what it's all about. $15 is pretty steep for admission. Apart from shopping for pipes, what else would I expect to happen there?

Dec 24, 2012
what else would I expect to happen there?
the place is packed with pipe groupies who toss their underwear at famous carvers and blenders.
Unfortunately, the groupies are usually 60 year old men with long beards.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I only ever hear the words Chicago and land put together are when I'm in the Chicago area. Nobody else has ever heard of it. To be honest I never even think about Chicago like I do about other U.S. cities like Seattle and Charlotte, and that is coming from a die hard Cubs and Bears fan whose father grew up in Chicago. Is Chicago the major metropolitan city that nobody outside of it actually cares about?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A friend of mine recently told me about this event. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago. I live in the city itself now. I might go on Saturday and see what it's all about. $15 is pretty steep for admission. Apart from shopping for pipes, what else would I expect to happen there?
Have you been to a professional BB, Hockey or FB game in the last decade? In any event you get two days for $15.... And if it's a problem for you, I'll chip in half. You just have to find me on the floor. PM and I'll give a description.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Not many, like New York, London, Paris, Tokyo.... In my work we actually refer to them as mega cities.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Only three must visits in Chicago, Wrigley, IRC and Helix. Those three places, Billy Goat's for a beer and a ham and egg sandwich a 7am and you're done. Almost forgot, a departing pizza a Due's.
Do you still get sniped at if you have to stop on the Dan Ryan?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
(Remember the tongue-filled cheeks and pipe smoker armadillo skins ... )
As a Chicagoan:
I only ever hear the words Chicago and land put together are when I'm in the Chicago area. Nobody else has ever heard of it. To be honest I never even think about Chicago like I do about other U.S. cities like Seattle and Charlotte, and that is coming from a die hard Cubs and Bears fan whose father grew up in Chicago. Is Chicago the major metropolitan city that nobody outside of it actually cares about?
FU-UUU-UCK YOU! :wink:
Only three must visits in Chicago, Wrigley, IRC and Helix. Those three places, Billy Goat's for a beer and a ham and egg sandwich a 7am and you're done. Almost forgot, a departing pizza a Due's.
Do you still get sniped at if you have to stop on the Dan Ryan.
The only part of this post I disagree with ... venomously ... is starting that sentence with "only."
To everyone else, see you at the pipe show. :mrgreen:
P.S. To the original poster ... You're cool, but your avatar sucks. Micheal would never approve.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Anything north of the Mason-Dixon is Chicago, unless it's to the east. Then it's New York. If it's to the West, it's California which as we all know is a satellite of the Soviet Union (government-in-exile).

Status
Not open for further replies.