PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtalent

Lurker
Jun 19, 2022
Hello my name is Mark, I have smoked roll my own cigarettes for many years. Usually at night after a few adult beverages, maybe two or three max a day. I while back I stopped drinking, and well this kind of stopped my smoking also. I always purchased tobacco cut for pipes, due to the lack of state taxes on it. A big red bag of like a pound or more of (now I can't remember the name) usually cost around 20 bucks.

Anyhow, I have since moved to North Carolina, and are alot of these fields full of green plants. Not sure if it was tobacco, I emailed this picture to a friend of mine in Agusta GA, who's dad was a tobacco farmer in the 50's. He informed me that this is indeed tobacco, so this got me to thinking. There are fields like this or way bigger all over the place, so I got to thinking this stuff might be tasty. I was looking on the internet for local farmers selling their tobacco, and somehow ran across this site, had not considered a pipe but that might be fun. I am drawn to wanting to get some of this fresh tobacco, and dry it out and smoke it.

I just do not know the rules, can I just go up and knock on their door and ask for some leaves, or stop and just pick a couple to try. Seems like stealing to me, not someting I ever do, however I remember my dad plucking a couple ears of corn out of big fields when I was a kid in the 70's. I would love to just purchase eogh to dry and enjoy just for the experience and well I do miss smoking a little, especially if it going to have a good taste.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Mark

Tobacco.jpg

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Welcome from Denver! I'd say go to a local tobacco shop, buy a corn cob pipe and a couple of pipe tobaccos that you find interesting and give it a try. Will definitely taste better than something right out of the field!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can try to this if you want but don't be surprised if you get a "dumb yankee" look. FurCoat's reply is probably best if you are committed to this action.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello my name is Mark, I have smoked roll my own cigarettes for many years. Usually at night after a few adult beverages, maybe two or three max a day. I while back I stopped drinking, and well this kind of stopped my smoking also. I always purchased tobacco cut for pipes, due to the lack of state taxes on it. A big red bag of like a pound or more of (now I can't remember the name) usually cost around 20 bucks.

Anyhow, I have since moved to North Carolina, and are alot of these fields full of green plants. Not sure if it was tobacco, I emailed this picture to a friend of mine in Agusta GA, who's dad was a tobacco farmer in the 50's. He informed me that this is indeed tobacco, so this got me to thinking. There are fields like this or way bigger all over the place, so I got to thinking this stuff might be tasty. I was looking on the internet for local farmers selling their tobacco, and somehow ran across this site, had not considered a pipe but that might be fun. I am drawn to wanting to get some of this fresh tobacco, and dry it out and smoke it.

I just do not know the rules, can I just go up and knock on their door and ask for some leaves, or stop and just pick a couple to try. Seems like stealing to me, not someting I ever do, however I remember my dad plucking a couple ears of corn out of big fields when I was a kid in the 70's. I would love to just purchase eogh to dry and enjoy just for the experience and well I do miss smoking a little, especially if it going to have a good taste.

Thanks Mark

View attachment 152039
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the Forum!

Tobacco goes through a lot of processing before it's anything approaching the flavors you've come to expect. Just pulled from a field, and dried before immediate consumption, it's going to taste like crap.

Also, the tobaccos you buy are blends from different tobaccos of different types from different areas, and it's the combination of these different parts, plus flavorings that are applied, that result in the flavors we experience.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia

Thanks Mark

View attachment 152039
Welcome from Virginia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are sales of tobacco leaf in uncut unblended form, that has been properly taxed. If you approach a farmer, he's liable to ATF regulations and may not take it kindly to be asked. In any case, as sablebrush has noted, if air cured, it will be pretty strong and pretty harsh. As a beginner, I'd stick with processed commercial blends. Nearly all tobacco crops are now grown under contract to large companies in-country or abroad. Selling tobacco on the side would cause all kinds of legal hassle with the contract, the federal ATF, and the state, I think. I sure wouldn't take any (steal it). This could get you shot.

Reactions: Bengel

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Welcome from Eastern NC. It's probably best to ask the farmer for a few leaves, instead of just taking them. I've found most in this area to be uncommonly generous, just ask.

Reactions: romaso

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC

Thanks Mark

View attachment 152039

Sorry those look more like beans or peanut plants.

Tobacco, at least that you will find here in NC is more widely planted and the leaves are much more broad.

But as others have said. You definitely want to make sure you ask a farmer beforehand. NC is also known for shine. Both legal and the "you have to know somebody" kind. Last thing you want to do is find your way onto someone's property and hear warning shots.

You can see the difference. The link is of young tobacco plants a couple weeks to a month or 2 old.

Reactions: romaso