Just Made My Own Leather Pipe Roll (Pictures)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@loom, yeah, it's a nice addition to my EDC bag. I just keep it inside and it doesn't take up a lot of room. Perfect for at least my one pipe, maybe room for 2, but I'm usually just carrying it with me to and from work in case an opportunity arises to escape for an hour or so to kick back under the trees and smoke a little. It's also the perfect size for just tucking in a back pocket if you need to.
@smittyd, I'm happy to inspire! It truly is cost effective if you have a place to purchase a small enough quantity of leather. I got lucky, honestly, that an upholstery place up the street from my house carried small scraps and sold them by the pound for about $10. Without that, the cost could have been a lot higher up front. I still want to make some more, so I might consider buying the huge roll from Tandy Leather for like $275 and make a bunch out of the lot, as many as I can get then sell them maybe. Still on the fence. Best of luck on your roll if you do end up making one!

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Thank you sir. I actually have access to a lot of leather near buy. my wife's family owns a cattle farm and some times they lose a calf or two . My wife's uncle always tans the hides and puts them up for grabs to the family.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That's awesome that you have access to some nice leather. Not entirely sure what weight the leather I chose was, but I was originally looking for something in the 4 to 5 ounce/sq ft thickness. Think I ended up with something around 2 to 3, a little thinner than others I have seen online, but it ended up being fairly easy to work with. All I had were very basic tools, like an awl that was on an old Case knife I own, a needle used for upholstery for the large eye and beefiness it possessed, and a cutting mat with a utility knife and straight edge. I bought some upholstery thread in a color that fairly matched and just sat down and sketched out my idea before I got started. If I did it again, I might make it a little bit taller and longer, since I forgot to add the small amount of leather that is left over between pockets that you stitch. Should have added like an extra 1/4" to each end and accounted for between each pocket. That would have had me making the one solid back piece a little bit longer and wrap just a little bit longer. Plus, I'd like for the tobacco pouch to have been a little bit longer. Made mine about 4-inches, I believe. Should have went with 5 or 6 and made the top flap a little taller so that it laid down inside a little better. It just does barely bend just right to cover the cleaners without creating a "bump" in the flap. I would certainly suggest measuring the length of those items you want to keep stored inside before you start cutting and account for the part of the leather that will be "used up" for the actual stitch.

Jul 15, 2011
If you were to make another one of those with brown leather I would buy one in a snap. That looks really great! Congrats!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks loomongus!
If you were to make another one of those with brown leather I would buy one in a snap. That looks really great! Congrats!
Thanks! I really like how it turned out, although I might make some slight adjustments to it after using it for a couple of months or so. Just slight tweak, but the design will remain the same. I'll have to get a line on some leather, especially brown. The place I get it from usually sells out of the brown scraps first. I wanted mine to be brown too, so when I get back up there to get more, I'll grab enough to make 2. I'll let you know when I get one made and you can decide then if you still want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.