Just Made My Own Leather Pipe Roll (Pictures)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Morning All! I just finished my very own pipe roll a few days ago and have started carrying it with me in my EDC bag to and from work. I just got tired of carrying my pipe, tobacco, tamp, and matches in my hand every time I wanted to take a stroll outside for mid-morning or mid-afternoon toke. It began to get a little cumbersome and taking it all in a plastic bag was fine, but I wanted something a little more purposeful and organizing, so I made this after almost having a conniption fit over the price of other leather rolls. Pictures for your viewing pleasure:
20180510_101424-600x291.jpg

20180510_101522-600x291.jpg

20180510_101608-600x291.jpg

20180510_101631-600x291.jpg

Sorry the last 2 came in upside down, reckon my camera flipped on me without my knowledge.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks npod! Pretty much! I think I could possibly fit two in there, if I really wanted to. Would depend on the size/shape of the pipes you tried to squeeze in. I was surprised just how much tobacco I can fit in it. The one shown is about an ounce, but I can easily fit two ounces if I want to, just in case I had to head out of town for a longer trip.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Javan and Cajun, I appreciate it! I do really enjoy it, if not only for the cost savings, for the amount of work I put into something that's uniquely mine. I'm actually planning a second one to fit a churchwarden, if I can find the leather I want to use for it for a decent price.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Very nice and at a sensible price. I would expect that a person that works with leather could do it without your fingers hurting for a nominal price. The pouch is pretty straight forward and simple for someone with the right equipment.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thank you Embers! I like to think so! I've been tinkering around with wood all my life, just recently began acquiring more tools (Home Depot is a dangerous place) and just started making things that I saw online that I wanted, but decided I could make my own that was cheaper and something I made with my own two hands. Built me a pipe, then wanted a leather pouch to keep one in for my EDC, then just made one that fit my needs. It's a ton of good fun, and as my wife likes to tell me, it keeps me out of trouble.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice work! You're a man after my own heart. I recently bought a new handgun that no one makes a holster for in the style I prefer. I went on a leatherworking bender and made a strong-side pancake and a driving crossdraw for it. Tandy Leather sure is a handy place!
You're right on about the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@aldecaker Why thank you! It's hard to find something you want that you envision in your mind. Most items could work, but in the end, you'll always be wishing it was this, or wishing it didn't have that. I just decided that if I can figure out how to make my own, then I'm sure well gonna try. I went to Tandy Leather, but they didn't sell anything at the size I needed. I really didn't need 25 square feet of leather and pay $250.00 for it unless I planned to make like 5 or 6 of the things and pick the best one for myself and sell the rest. I just went to a local upholstery shop that actually had small enough pieces for my liking at about $10 per pound. Worked out for m pretty well.
@Dot Thank you! I was originally hoping for a rich brown, but gray was all they had in the bin. It was a little thinner than I hoped, but after working with it, it was really a joy. Almost felt like it was broken in already before I ever used it.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
You have inspired me! I have been shopping around for a nice roll up . I thought about making one myself but was unsure if it would be cost effective. You have proved that point . Well done sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.