PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Well I decided to try out my green thumb on growing my own tobacco. I picked up a yellow Virgina, perique, and Black Sea Samsun Turkish. I will get them started in the basement in a few weeks so I have little seedlings to transfer over. If anyone has any been there done that suggestions please let me hear them since, I am new to tobacco growing.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very cool...will certainly be interested to learn how it progresses. Good luck!

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Keep us informed on how this goes. From what I have been reading, the growing will be the easy part. The hardest part will be the curing and aging of the leaves...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My stepfather had a very green thumb and tried his hand at growing some "cigars".

He managed to complete the process and create a couple of dozen.

His experiment was a dismal failure. :cry: They were horrible.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
A year of aging would have probable produced some decent if not wonderful smokes. I have several varieties I am planning on planting.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
top the plants when they get there bud in the top and keep the suckers broke off as they grow on the stalk of the plants, that makes plants produce bigger leaves.when ready to harvest you can pick the leaves, string them and hang up in a dry airy place and let them cure. handle them after they cure only when they are damp on a damp day. they call it being in case, that is when the leaves are soft, you can tell by feel. they cure in about 3 to 4 months if i remember right. just make sure you pick all leaves before it frost.
also you can cut the plant off at the ground and hang the whole plant up side down in a dry airy place untill it cures. also keep a eye out for tobacco worms when the plants are growing, pick them off and kill, if you don't use spray.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
when you grade the tobacco, its in three grades, from the bottom of stalk up so far, bright,med,long, thats with burley tobacco. we always said it was used from the stalk up as cig,cigar,chewing tobacco. when we sent the tobacco to market it had to be in grades packed on large tobacco baskets,years ago they started bailing it, its pressed in a square box and tied with a cotton string.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
yeah,oldmous,down state in the flat lands from me they just pick all the leaves from the bottom up and string them and hang them in small tobacco barns and cure them with furnace. thats why the call it flue cured tobacco. tobacco fields as far as the eye can see.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
duncan,about all the tobacco farmers buy there plants from growers around here.

they make large long beds with the soil worked up good then cover them with plastic

and gas the beds to kill any bugs and bacteria in the soil. then sew the seeds and cover them with plastic that is held up off the beds with old soda bottles stuck in the ground neck first to give the plants room to grow. then they raise the plastic

here and there after the plants start to grow to keep the plants from getting to hot.

we use to buy them by the thousands. about the bottles it was just a way to hold up the plastic that keep the beds warm.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I am going to start the germination process in my basement with a grow lamp. Looking to hopefully transfer aroung the 6-8 week mark so it is warm out side and they have a good head start. Some I will just be keeping in a 3 or so gallon pots other I will be spacing along a wall. I will likely be going for 4 or 5 plants of each type just to get a feel for it. From there I will have to find a good place to air cure them.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
I plan on trying some this year as well! I was told that I should get some spanish cedar to ward off the tobacco beetles while curing, and to make sure to watch out for the tobacco worms while growing. I heard that the soil can really effect the taste as well. So what part of the country are you in? Because I heard that even though it's the same tobacco it can taste, completely different because of the soil and the climate. I'll keep you posted on how mine does, and maybe we can do some trades to taste test. I really think it will be interesting! I also can't wait to start my mello mounds for this yaers batch of rhine wine! :clap:

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
last year I tried and got a bit of tobacco but mostly it ruined during the dry process as it got too wet out in the shed.

This year I have a yellow, kentucky, Orinco and a virgina I'm planting.

I agree -- It's not the growing that's the problem it's the drying process. That is the key. and it needs to dry a long time.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
drys best with the more air the better,just keep the rain off. our barn was just a old wood barn good roof,walls with space between boards, doors wide open. up in the amish country there barns are huge with wall boards that they open every few feet for air then close when there done with the tobacco crop.
the way its done here in this area is you have hundreds of what you call tobacco sticks.they are around 5 feet long and around 1in. by 1.5in. and you drive them into the ground in the tobacco row so far apart,then you have a thing called a spear with a point on the end that fits over the end of the stick and a thing they call a knife, its looks like a hachet you chop the plant off at the ground and put the stalk of the base end about 8in or so up from the end on the point of spear and push down and thread the plant down on the stick around 8 plants or more so when you hang them in the barn they can be spaced apart some for air. barns have a frame work inside that you hang the stick up end to end.you start at the top frame work and work your way down,takes 3 or 4 helpers to pass they up.

anyway you can spear the plant on a stick and hang them that way to cure in a outdoor shed with the doors and windows open the more air the better. only the outside tobacco that face the open door or windows gets weathered and is mixed in with the tobacco when you grade it and send to market.
thinking back years ago when farmers would grade there tobacco and getting it ready to take to market it had to look pretty, they were proud of the way it looked. after all there would be your next door farmers there and they would all see your crop and they all seen how well you took care of the crop when it was growing.

the basket that was used was a flat square with some curve up on the edge and about 4x4 or so and you would strip the leaf starting with the bottom, the bright, bunched together stem to stem untill you had a hand full then take a leaf and wind it around the stem end and fold back into the group to hold together. they called it a hand because it was all you could hold in your hand to do that job.as you made the hands you placed them side by side in rows around the basket packing layers and layers about 4 foot high or so with the leaf stem ends pointing out,it was pretty.

also you can only grade tobacco when its in[ case ] thats what its called when on the right damp day the tobacco leaf is like a soft rag and when its dry it will crumble in your hands. so if your crop does well and you have cured some only handle it when it is in case or you will have crumbles. farmers have been known in dry times to spray tobacco with a fine mist of water and pack a pile down and cover it with plastic to bring it into case and some times when it was in case they would pack a pile down and cover it so they could keep working with it before it went back out of case, other words the day warmed up and the tobacco dryed back out.when you open that pretty pack of tobacco and you see all that nice cut strips in fine little pieces, that was not done with dry tobacco.

now days you just grade it and its put in a square box and packed with a jack and pressed into bales like a bale of hay and tied with a string and took to market. i loved to watch the buyers from the tobacco co. bid on the tobacco and if it looked wet it didn't do very well, thats when some farmers had spray it to bring it into case so they could work it but got it to wet,bad thing, because they buy it by the pound.

not many tobacco markets around anymore,farmers have to truck it to other towns now.

i think most tobacco is imported now days.
o well, better get out of here,don't want bore you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.