PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
If you want more contrast might consider doing a chemicle "stain". Wine tannens brushed on the pipe then you take steel wool and put it in a jar a vinegar. The steel wool will breakdown and you paint it on. Its all I do now for "staining".
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fresh-off-the-bench-bamboo-and-briar-rhodesion

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Nice shaping on that.
The iron acetate stain from vinegar and steel works nice. Copper in vinegar with some hydrogen peroxide makes a nice stain too.
This tamper was done with the copper mix, no added tannins, just what's in the briar.
20170427_233906-600x337.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
If you want more contrast might consider doing a chemicle "stain".
My other stains have turned out great. I just wasn't particularly thrilled with this latest one.
Wine tannens brushed on the pipe then you take steel wool and put it in a jar a vinegar. The steel wool will breakdown and you paint it on. Its all I do now for "staining".
Sounds interesting. I may try that sometime.
Nice shaping on that.
Thank you! That tamper is pretty sweet. I mean to carve a few tampers out of briar at some point. I just can't decide if I want to put some kind of metal on the tamping end and how to go about it, or just leave it bare. Yours is lovely.
As an update... my brother in law received the pipe for Christmas and was blown away by it. It was awesome watching it get fired up for the first time. :D

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
I just can't decide if I want to put some kind of metal on the tamping end and how to go about it, or just leave it bare. Yours is lovely.
Thank you. As for the base, with Briar, I leave it bare. The tips will wear down some but the bottom can stand the heat, it's Briar. That, metal, and antler, all hold up to tamping from my experience.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Wow! Very nice work on that one. The shape, the color, the detail.... hats off to a nice job!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Nice grain on that one and I love that plateaux top. You did a great job shaping too.

Keep it up brother! :clap:

jerrysats

Lurker
Dec 21, 2017
Great looking pipe ,I like the design and style of it . Did you turn this or carve it and how does it smoke ?

Jan 8, 2013
Did you turn this or carve it and how does it smoke ?
Thanks, Jerry. It's carved, all by hand, with wood rasps and files. This one was a gift for my brother in law, so I don't know first hand how it smokes. He seems more than pleased with it, and is quick to grab it for a smoke whenever I visit. It seems to be smoking fine for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.