PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks fellas for the encouraging words! Constantly when I was carving I got immediately clear that something could have been better done. It was great fun to make something from scratch and I am scratching :)

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Considering that these pipes are first and second attempts, they are super impressive! Well freakin' done, halfy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That birdseye is killer, great piece of wood you got, and a nice job in bringing it out. The stem work also looks really well done. You could have a career seeing these two are just your first attempts.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good stuff for sure, these may be your first pipes but you obviously have some kind of background it turning or some kind of woodwork right? To do an inlay in the mortise like that isn’t just a happy accident, that takes some knowledge and skill to even know how to attempt something like that plus you need to have quite the work shop as I don’t think you could do that with just a dremal tool and a hack saw.... at least, I couldn’t. And if those are truly hand cut stems than another bravo!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks guys! Actually I didn't have any background other than collecting and smoking pipes. Though I have been thinking of making pipes for a few years. But I am a lazy guy..... It did not come true until a few months ago, a good friend who loves woodwork reallocated to Luxembourg and he left me all his tools. So all I needed was just ordering some customized drill bits and stuff to get started. Quite a few pipe maker friends helped me and gave me advices on setting up my own workflow, such as but not limited to, Li Bing and John He (he is Toku san's latest pupil and just started his career.).I also benefited from the talks with many carver friends like Zhan Ping, Li Zhesong and Toku san. I enjoy the time shaping the briar and the stem quite much. I did get the feeling in my head that I could see the pipe in the briar and I just followed my guts. And I immediately would know the mistakes I had just made. I had been thinking of making pipes as a career, but I would keep it as a hobby for the moment.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Halfy, you have quite a natural talent, and I'm happy for you that you have this opportunity to begin your hobby. You're gifted with an eye for pipe shapes and woodworking! Can't wait to see your next creation!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
img_9773-337x600.jpg

Have a smoke!

I've always thought that anyone can do anything that they put their mind to. But, some people just naturally understand the world well enough to figure out how something can be made. Some people just put their minds to something and absorb as much as possible and regurgitate magic. We may ask a few questions, clarify something, or want to watch something being done to see if we have the correct order of something in my mind. But, for the most part, there are just people who come easily to "making."
Congrats once again!!!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Modified the second pipe ... lowered the bowl, tilted and opened the chamber opening a bit, removed the fin-like part of the shank, thinnered the tenon to eliminate the gap in the mortise, and reshaped the stem ...
wechatimg30-600x600.jpg

wechatimg29-600x600.jpg

wechatimg28-600x600.jpg

wechatimg27-600x600.jpg

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
There are pipe makers who've been at it a few years who don't have your touch for the craft. Well done, and I too look forward to seeing more from you.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That is amazing work for someone starting out. I think you must be a savant. Good luck with your future pipe carving endeavors, I think you'll do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.