Just Discovered A New Bourbon.....Anyone Here Tried It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just went on to Amazon to see what bourbons were on special offer and spotted one I've never see before so perhaps it's a recent addition to their lineup.

It's a Jim Beam product called Legent and is 47% ABV. Mind you at £44.73 + £5.95 delivery (70cl) it might be a while afore I try it despite being a lover of Jim Beam products.

This is what they have to say about it....

A unique collaboration between two icons of whiskey-making, Legent Bourbon is the creation of whisky legends Fred Noe and Shinji Fukuyo. Finished in a combination of wine and sherry casks, Legent is made using a historic recipe from Fred Noe’s family and is matured for at least four years in virgin white oak barrels. It is then blended by Shinji Fukuyo to create layers of spice, dried fruit and tart red berries.

Three different types of casks are used to mature Legent bourbon and each one imparts its own unique characteristics to the spirit. Virgin American oak barrels provide notes of caramel, vanilla and oak spice, while the sherry casks offer layers of raisins, baking spices and rich dried fruits, and the red wine casks create fresh, fruity undertones, as well as a light acidity.

Official Tasting Notes

Nose - Rich, traditional bourbon cues with wood notes. Complex layers of spice and mild, fruity undertones from wine & sherry casks.

Palate - Welcoming notes of dried raisins and dates. Light acidity and sweetness. A hint of bitterness form the sherry casks. Rich, warm and oaky like a bourbon with complex layers.

Finish - Oaky, smooth, and unexpectedly long.

And this is what it looks like...

legent.jpg

So, has anyone here tried it?

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: DangerStranger

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I grabbed a few bottles when it was released. I had big expectations since Fukuyo is a legend overseeing some of the best whiskies in the world and of course Noe is a Bourbon legend. It's a nice bourbon and I'm glad that I tried it. But, I am somewhat disappointed. The money would have been better spent on a bottle of Hibiki or Old Grand-Dad.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Do we have a bourbon thread here? (I couldn't find one)
Here in Maryland, we have bourbon boutique distilleries popping up everywhere it seems.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Do we have a bourbon thread here? (I couldn't find one)"

Al, perhaps we should have a sub forum dedicated to just bourbon? ;)

I'd also be interested in hearing about these Maryland distillers, assuming they're not just buying in whiskey from MGP in Illinois and labelling it as their own.

Regards,

Jay.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019

I'd also be interested in hearing about these Maryland distillers, assuming they're not just buying in whiskey from MGP in Illinois and labelling it as their own.

Regards,

Jay.
The bad news is that's what 99.9% of these small, new, bourbon "distilleries" do. The good news is that MGP produces some really great bourbon.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC

Regards,

Jay.
It should be easy to tell. By law they have to say where the product was made. So you will see something like:

Distilled in Indiana, bottled in Maryland

on the label

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The good news is that MGP produces some really great bourbon."

Absolutely great bourbon comes from MGP, it's just I don't like that any idiot can buy it and slap their label on it 'claiming' it's their own. In my view, if you didn't make it then don't stick your name on it.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: kcghost

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I grabbed a few bottles when it was released. I had big expectations since Fukuyo is a legend overseeing some of the best whiskies in the world and of course Noe is a Bourbon legend. It's a nice bourbon and I'm glad that I tried it. But, I am somewhat disappointed. The money would have been better spent on a bottle of Hibiki or Old Grand-Dad.
Hibiki is one of my fav Japanese whiskeys. Three bottles are now fallen soldiers, but Hibiki is Suntory Scotch.

I’ve been down the small batch bourbon road before. The prices are often not worth the bourbons although Ive never not enjoyed any so no bashing. It’s genius marketing in most cases (pun intended).

Forgive my simplicity in such matters. I unashamedly place Granger above so many top blends. My Granger of all things Bourbon ?is the venerable and often overlooked Wild Turkey 101

It’s delicious. Masterpiece territory. Shhhhh …
more for those of us unpretentious lower-shelf dwellers in the know. ☝️?

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Hibiki is one of my fav Japanese whiskeys. Three bottles are now fallen soldiers, but Hibiki is Suntory Scotch.

I’ve been down the small batch bourbon road before. The prices are often not worth the bourbons although Ive never not enjoyed any so no bashing. It’s genius marketing in most cases (pun intended).

Forgive my simplicity in such matters. I unashamedly place Granger above so many top blends. My Granger of all things Bourbon ?is the venerable and often overlooked Wild Turkey 101

It’s delicious. Masterpiece territory. Shhhhh …
more for those of us unpretentious lower-shelf dwellers in the know. ☝️?

Agree 100%. Wild Turkey 101 is excellent and underrated!! I hope it stays that way!!! Unfortunately Hibiki isn't a secret anymore.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

I'm with you 100% on that, assuming that you are referring to the small "artisan" micro-distillers. It takes a lot of time, experience, and know-how to make a good bourbon. I've never had one from the micro-distillers that I thought was worth the price. Plus, as discussed above, the vast majority of the "micro-distilleries" aren't really distilling their own mash anyhow and are just buying barrels up from the big midwest distillery and blending it on their own.

The "small batch" and single barrel bottles around $35 or below from the major distillers are what I go for generally. The 2013 Evan Williams single barrel has caught my attention lately and I drank a few bottles of it over the summer. It usually goes for around $25 per bottle in my neck of the woods.

Also, I'm always up for my two old standbys: the basic mid-shelf Buffalo Trace and Elijah Craig.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
I am pretty sure I've seen @Tar Wheel pour himself some Elijah Craig a few times. I haven't had it in years -- I don't remember it fondly, but I don't remember why. I'd love to hear some thoughts on it -- and if it helps, I adore Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill; our usual daily is Woodford Reserve (thank you Costco!).

I'm shocked, shocked, by the comments on Wild Turkey 101. I did check the calendar and it is Sept. 1, not April 1...

It would not be one I'd grab for, but I am happy to be proven wrong. (I am hoping for a big beverage run this weekend, along with the postponed trip to The Tinder Box in South Coast Plaza (in Orange County) this weekend. It is the fun part for me, vs. the looking for a new sofa that also is happening. (Mainly because I still like our current one!)

Reactions: Tar Wheel

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I am pretty sure I've seen @Tar Wheel pour himself some Elijah Craig a few times. I haven't had it in years -- I don't remember it fondly, but I don't remember why. I'd love to hear some thoughts on it -- and if it helps, I adore Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill; our usual daily is Woodford Reserve (thank you Costco!).

I'm shocked, shocked, by the comments on Wild Turkey 101. I did check the calendar and it is Sept. 1, not April 1...

It would not be one I'd grab for, but I am happy to be proven wrong. (I am hoping for a big beverage run this weekend, along with the postponed trip to The Tinder Box in South Coast Plaza (in Orange County) this weekend. It is the fun part for me, vs. the looking for a new sofa that also is happening. (Mainly because I still like our current one!)
Hey, @EssJaySea. While I find the standard 94 proof Elijah Craig to be a solid mid-shelf selection, the Barrel Proof offerings are where Elijah Craig shines. They just keep producing flavor bombs, batch after batch. It’s released 3 times a year and doesn’t sit on the shelf long at all. Huge recommend!

As far as Wild Turkey 101 goes, It’s the most bold and robust $20-$25 bottle in the store. I enjoy it neat and it makes one hell of an old fashioned.

Furniture shopping with the wife this weekend? Sounds like you’ll need a stiff drink by the end of the day. ??

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The 2013 Evan Williams single barrel has caught my attention lately and I drank a few bottles of it over the summer. It usually goes for around $25 per bottle in my neck of the woods."

@Lawdawg, I have often wanted to try Evan Williams Single Barrel but over here it is eye wateringly expensive.

On Amazon today (4th September) I can get their Single Barrel for £46.99 or their Single Barrel 2012 (7 year old) for £62.95 + £5.95 delivery.

Now if I could get it for $25 I'd likely but a whole case :)

As it happens, Amazon is currently selling Jim Beam Single Barrel for the reduced price of £30 so I've ordered 6 bottles.

BTW, over here we only get 70cl bottles, not the 75cl you guys get.

Regards,

Jay.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
BTW, over here we only get 70cl bottles, not the 75cl you guys get.
Last yr the US Alcohol and Tobacco Trade Bureau voted to allow 70cl bottles as standard, paving the way for the demise of the 75cl bottle. Their reasoning being it saves bottlers the expense of offering the 75cl. In reality those savings won’t be passed on to the consumer & it will be a price increase per volume just like it was when we went from the Fifth down to 750ml.