PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Actually, (and Kevin can correct me if I'm wrong) most times you go to any other forum, you are doing just that... going to a forum. But since this is an e-magazine that has a forum component in it, you have the two sites and two avatars, even though you're logging in once. I think one of the other things that we're encountering is, (at least for me) most of the big forums are powered by IP Boards or php BB, so that is what we're used to. Again, this is what I've noticed on my short (but fun, informative, and totally addictive) time here, so everything I've said should be taken with a modicum of snuff.
-Jason

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin did not set it up that way, it is just the way that this software works. I do not know all of the specifics about it and Kevin is away on some personal business. When he gets back, I'm sure he'll chime in on it.

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've just been wondering if there wasn't a more user friendly way to build the site up. I, personally, can live with the way it is right now (or, I'm not that bothered by it anymore, hehe), but what about new folks joining up? I'm quite sure the current structure scare some people away (as it almost was the case with me). In fact, the other day I got a mail from a friend in Wisconsin who had read my blog here, and this what was he wrote: "That site is kind of a pain to get around on and find specific things but I think with a little tweaking, it could be a very useful one for us puff heads."
I really appreciate all that you guys are doing here, and - as I said earlier - pipesmagazine has quickly become my favorite place. I just wish the best for the site, you know ;)
Kevin can adress this if he feels like it ... I'm not holding a gun to anyones head here ;p

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Actually, (and Kevin can correct me if I'm wrong) most times you go to any other forum, you are doing just that... going to a forum. But since this is an e-magazine that has a forum component in it, you have the two sites and two avatars, even though you're logging in once. I think one of the other things that we're encountering is, (at least for me) most of the big forums are powered by IP Boards or php BB, so that is what we're used to. Again, this is what I've noticed on my short (but fun, informative, and totally addictive) time here, so everything I've said should be taken with a modicum of snuff.
-Jason
Yes, Jason, you are correct.
There are sites that are just forums, and that's it.
This site is like 3 sites in one.
1. It's an E-zine with professionally produced content, like no other site covering this niche.

2. We have Forums, and

3. We have User Blogs with user generated content. These are fully functioning WordPress blogs.
If you guys think there's some stuff that isn't user friendly now, you should have been here a year ago. LOL! I have fixed A LOT of stuff.
So, I sit here and think, should I take this day to work on editing video from my tour of the Mac Baren factory, or should I work on programming to make it easier to work some things on the site?
Should I spend time trying to sell more advertising so I can pay for all the time, travel expense, hosting, what I pay staff and contractors to keep the site running ... or should I play around with the programming to make some things function better?
ALL of these thing are definitely important, and whether it seems like it or not, I do hear everything you guys say and little by little address them and try to improve the usability of the site.
It all comes down to a simple concept they teach in entry level business courses called, "Opportunity Cost".

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
And let me add one of my favorite quotes from Seth Godin, best selling author and marketing guru.
"I am not a perfectionist. I think that I am very focused on doing the best I can quickly and fixing it to make it better. A perfectionist doesn’t do things quickly, it takes them too long to shift."
If I had designed this site to be 100% absolutely perfect on every single little feature, it still would not have been launched yet.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yay! I was right about something! Quick, call my wife!
Thanks for the explanation, Kevin. I figure that we are still in the infancy stages here on the pipesmagazine.com forums, so I expect little quirks. None are awful, just minor annoyances. For my part, I'd rather you work on the Mac Baren video than fix the avatar thing. One thing people consistently underestimate is how much time really goes into editing video. 3 minutes of finished video? Bah! Must've taken them 30 minutes to make that. Try 3 hours. I appreciate :worship: all the effort you put into this (these) site(s), and I'm still jazzed about the smileys... :lol: Thanks.
-Jason

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks for the answer, Kevin! I see what you're saying.
I didn't mean to sound harsh or ungrateful or anything when I asked these questions -- I'm VERY grateful for the effort you're putting in here, and as I said, this has become my favorite forum on the subject of pipes'n'tobacco. All I want is for it to have succes now and in the future. I hope that came out between the lines.
Now I'll zip it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.