PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
H

HRPufnstuf

I seem to be a minority here but my go to desk tamper is a Rattray's slim Caber. Pros: round concave foot makes mounding simple and easily clears excess cake from the bowl. Cons: the pick is a little fat, it has no scoop. Some people dislike threaded pipe tools, but at my desk this is not an issue, I often leave it open on the ash tray.

IMG_0174.JPG

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I’m no 8deco expert but I have a few. The one you depict is taller and has an ever so slightly smaller diameter tamp, maybe 1 millimeters difference. My gold one seems to be in the same class as yours. My Goldie is 24.19g. My colored plastic ones are between 14.44 and 15.2 g The gold one has problems fitting deep into the narrow chamber pipes but those others seem to have just enough clearance for 95% of my pipesimage.jpg

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I seem to be a minority here but my go to desk tamper is a Rattray's slim Caber. Pros: round concave foot makes mounding simple and easily clears excess cake from the bowl. Cons: the pick is a little fat, it has no scoop. Some people dislike threaded pipe tools, but at my desk this is not an issue, I often leave it open on the ash tray.

View attachment 269390
I have both the Rattray and 8deco. I like them both. 8deco has the vented dome foot, while the Rattray doesn’t. I don’t really notice a difference when using though. 8deco also has the scoop at one end. The pick on the 8deco is rounded at the end and wider. The Rattray’s pick is thinner and sharper edged. I find the Rattray's pic easier to get into the nooks and crannies of a cob - especially when removing damp bottle or unsmoked tobacco. So from a functionality standpoint they both have their pros and cons. From a cost standpoint, the 8deco has the edge.

Personally,I love the size, weight and looks of the Rattray better. Mine has Celtic inspired design elements and a stylized Celtic dog head that looks like my boxer. Lol.

In the end, buy them both 😂

Attachments

• IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2261.jpeg
    IMG_2261.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 6

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
For those who have the 8decos, are they all the same length and weight? I’m finally interested in getting a nicer tamper but want it to have some weight and length as well. It looks like there are heavy shorter tampers around (like in brass) but not ones that have both length and weight. Would the 8decos be what I’m looking for? Thanks!
They are not all the same length and weight. I think this might appeal to you if you are looking for weight And length.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-tampers-and-tools/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=116349

I have one of these and it has pretty good weight to it and a good reach. They do eventually come back in stock.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I'm with @kcghost on this one. Even though I don't leave home with nice tampers I can't seem to keep track of them unless I give them an assigned spot. The one pipe nail I ever bought, however, I've had on hand for nearly half my life. I could try to misplace it I guess, but I'm afraid that would just piss it off.

• Haha
Reactions: PaulRVA and kcghost