PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
and I feel it was totally worth it. Easier to find and more comfy in my pocket then a basic pipe tool. I got a purple 8deco tamper and I am now a convert. It has a better weight then a basic one it doesn't flop open looks nicer and the pick slash scraper works great at both. It doesn't look like the little pick should scrap the bowl better but it gets almost everything out in one motion. I bought it cause I keep lossing the basic ones and I thought maybe I can hold on to this one better. And I can simply because it's easier to travel with as pointless as that sounds. Also again it looks pretty slick.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have several 8deco tampers, they sure look nice and I like the vented tamper end. Unfortunately, the ones I have won't go in past the bottom third of some of my narrower pipes, have to use a Czech tool for them. I've been eying one of those Rattray tamper/knife combos, the price however is a whole other level of commitment.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
My view is that you have discovered the gist of what I have recommended to newer pipe smokers for years: A good tamper adds much to the experience, in both aesthetic and utilitarian ways.
I don't own an 8deco, but I have several handmade, rustic tempers that I love to look at and use.
In my experience, nice tempers encourage more frequent attention to the burning bowl, which leads to a more enjoyable smoking session.
Well Done!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a number of special tampers and just for that reason alone I keep then in a cabinet on my dresser. They are never used but are shown to people who want to see them. I would lose them in no time flat otherwise. For some reason I can remember a $1 pipe nail but never an expensive one.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have a number of special tampers and just for that reason alone I keep then in a cabinet on my dresser. They are never used but are shown to people who want to see them. I would lose them in no time flat otherwise. For some reason I can remember a $1 pipe nail but never an expensive one.
Ain"t that the truth

Reactions: kcghost and Elric

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A good tamper is a thing to behold. I just wish I could keep them from running off.
That's also why I commissioned my meer tamper. I think if I spent more time thinking about it, and more money than any of my pipes are worth, I'd have a better chance of keeping an eye on it. 😂

Reactions: telescopes

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Back to the op,

I was gifted an 8deco tamper, with the domed tamp side, and scoop with a thread out pick. I keep mine next to my garage recliner. I had no plans to use it, honestly. But one day I was in the garage without one, and that was the perfect time to use that one. It was a great smoke.

That tamper is what got me into dome tamping the edges down first.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I also use a Deco. Today I bought a new lighter on Amazon that has tools built in by Xifei called Lihtun pipe lighter. Has a pipe stand built in too. Not sure if it will replace the Deco but I like the idea of having a lighter with a tri tool and stand.

G

Gimlet

I have a Peterson combination tamper that came free with a Churchwarden I bought. The blade is an odd serrated affair, like using a file but the tamper is great, a good size and heavy enough to tamp under its own weight and the scales are nice and wide so it's easy to locate and nice to hold. For this reason it lives in my van as my work and driving tamper.

I also have a slimmer Mitchel Thomas combo. Slimmer and lighter than the Peterson with a slightly smaller tamper and slimmer pick but a nicely shaped knife blade with a good edge which tends to make my reamer redundant. This one lives on my coffee table next to my armchair along with a Rattrays lighter.
On the rare occasions I take my pipe out with me socially it's this pairing I take along as they are both slim enough to fit inside a square tobacco tin.

G

Gimlet

Back to the op,

I was gifted an 8deco tamper, with the domed tamp side, and scoop with a thread out pick. I keep mine next to my garage recliner. I had no plans to use it, honestly. But one day I was in the garage without one, and that was the perfect time to use that one. It was a great smoke.

That tamper is what got me into dome tamping the edges down first.
I do this as well. I tamp lightly round the bowl clockwise so the edges are neat. I am quite OCD it must be said but I got into this habit with one of my blends, GH Coffee and Caramel black cavendish. It produces quite a course woody ash and benefits from judicious tamping to maintain flavour and a steady burn.

Some Kendal flakes I smoke produce a much finer ash and if they're tamped to often they can develop a flame resistant ashy crust, so I do modify my tamping depending on what I'm smoking.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I was gifted a bamboo stem 8deco (or 8deco style) domed tamp that I like a lot, and I would use more if I smoked inside. Fits great in my old Decatur spinning rack with my pipes though.

I just bought a bag of 50 bamboo golf tees from scamazon last week.
A tee and a djeep lighter stay in my shirt pocket well at work, heavier ones are always falling out with ll the bending and crouching I do.
I keep a Czech too in my pipe pouch, and don’t really tip with them much. I do find that the spoon on the Savinelli Czech tool is the best shape of the ones I’ve had so far to lay flat against wall of chamber for a quick post-smoke “ream” to keep cake at bay.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
For those who have the 8decos, are they all the same length and weight? I’m finally interested in getting a nicer tamper but want it to have some weight and length as well. It looks like there are heavy shorter tampers around (like in brass) but not ones that have both length and weight. Would the 8decos be what I’m looking for? Thanks!

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
For those who have the 8decos, are they all the same length and weight? I’m finally interested in getting a nicer tamper but want it to have some weight and length as well. It looks like there are heavy shorter tampers around (like in brass) but not ones that have both length and weight. Would the 8decos be what I’m looking for? Thanks!
I'm not sure if they are all the same, but here's what I am showing...

20231212_090648.jpg20231212_090745.jpg

22g weight and about 4.5" length