Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Screen-Shot-2019-08-21-at-1-42-26-PM.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about now, but raptors used to be protected by laws requiring elaborate authorization for keeping living specimens or any non-living part like feathers and bones. The only live birds allowed were those injured and incapable of being treaded and returned to the wild, handled by certified raptor rehab people. Staggering fines.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I suppose the Lady's and the eagle's job is introducing the newcomers to the USA's national bird! ;-)

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
If you go to football games at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO, you can spot a peregrine falcon flying around the stadium before games. USAFA has a very active falconry club of cadets (i.e. students) who maintain a good number of birds.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm sure the TSA has gotten many birds over the years, but I hope they didn't get that one.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Those birds are just too beautiful for words, but if you think I am getting on an airplane with one your crazy! The girl must have been using it to get guys for her.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I transported a bald eagle on a commercial plane once. My job was wildlife biologist and a concerned person brought it to me. It was injured so I took it to a raptor rehab place in Anchorage where I needed to go anyway. That was prior to 11 Sept 2001 when security wasn't so strict and also the flight was within the state of Alaska on Alaska Air. I used a dog crate for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm', see the lady's glove? The bird's alive. I guess if you keep that handsome bird fed, the talons and beak aren't as much of a hazard. People generally underestimate the strength and speed of wild animals whose whole lives are exercise, even in captivity. Saw a wildlife show on crocodiles. They had one all taped up and hefted by four or five people, and it moved a few inches and opened one of the handler's face, so he was flown out for surgery. No croc' teeth, no tail, just a lunge with its boney nose. Someone noted on Forums that a rolly-poly bear can charge at 35 mph. Cuddly and hungry at any speed.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hell, that could just be any one of our resident codgers and their lovely spouse heading out for a pipe show.

Status
Not open for further replies.