Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
Unopened Half and Half 14oz tin.
047_zpsa141bfea.jpg

045_zpseb794a0c.jpg

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice score. You gonna open it a smoke some or just shelve it? I would smoke it. :D
Not very old
How can you tell? Are you judging based on the lack of rust on the bottom? From what I have seen, I have not seen a different brand design for Half & Half. Just curious as I run across may old tobacco tins in antique stores, especially PA and unless it is a brand that has not been made a really long time, I feel as if most are not as old as the are trying to be passed off as. My initial opinion would be it has at least some age simply because of the way to open the can. How long has the large tubs that are cardboard and have the pull tab been in use, like the ones used today?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The tins with the roll key haven't been made for a long time. I have one-"Bourbon Blend" that is from the 1980's.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
Its pretty old, has the old key type to open it. I'm just going to shelve it just gave 10.00 for it.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
A really OLD can would be 16 ounce, not 14
This is the information I always want to find but can't.
Depends on what you define as "old."
This is a good point. Perception changes everything.
The tins with the roll key haven't been made for a long time. I have one-"Bourbon Blend" that is from the 1980's.
This is what I was thinking in my original post. I thought these sort of cans were already on their way out by the 70's.

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
My grandfather smoked Half & Half for ever, but I never could.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great find, Chero! My grandfather used to hand roll Half and Half for cigarettes. His khaki work clothes were flecked with burn holes - and that's the last time I'll ever write that recollection. He would also fill his Zippo with the last couple of drops of gasoline after fueling his freight truck. That landlocked WWI swabbie was larger than life to me and a true character.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
The lady at the junk store said that the tobacco was to old to smoke and might be bad so she let me have it for $10.00.

she had $20.00 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.