Judge Rules That the FDA’s Cigar Box Warning Label Requirement Is Unconstitutional

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
*Olkofri slaps brian64 around a bit with a large trout

logo.png

• Haha
Reactions: brian64 and olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Laws are often enacted because politicians have nothing better to do, and they want to feel good about themselves. Same thing with “woke” culture.
Nope, matey. As Warren pointed out, it's about power. That's why they're all about the money, because it buys power. Feeling good about themselves and virtue signaling it's a bonus, a weapon, and a means to mollify their already dormant consciences all at the same time. But even the 'woke' culture is about power: the power to rule the lives of others by means of humanitarian hoaxes.

Nowadays, it's not just about votes, however. There's plenty of power to gain through donations and association with lobby groups pushing humanitarian hoaxes: these power groups prop the politicos up and they in return enact legislation that pleases these groups.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
I loved cigar boxes as a kid, they seemed like little pirate treasure boxes. I knew cigars came in them, but since my father didn't actually smoke cigars himself the boxes were always their own entity in my mind. When I finally tried cigars, I decided they were not for me, and yet I still love looking at the boxes. I understand wanting to protect children from the predatory nature of big tobacco, but I don't see the flow through on this one.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
One thing I don't get is how is it a freedom of speech issue. The fact is making false claims about a product isn't freedom of speech. I don't know much about the judge and what his reasoning is. I don't know if he's informed and considers the warnings over kill and generally false including the fact that many people smoke cigars as a special occasion thing and that even regular cigar smokers are less likely to get sick (unless they inhale the suckers which some people do) and freedom of speech was an angle to try and make it work. I don't know if the guy is protecting an industry that he profits from in some way. Not complaining just saying it's weird.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Never! It is the pursuit of votes. The very idea that a politician would act out of boredom is laughable. Never underestimate a politician's drive, even when you think they are imbeciles. Battles are often lost because one derides/underestimates the opponent. All successful politicians have a base of support, they do nothing with a logical reason. To deny such is to put yourself on the losing side.

Smokers have nothing to debate with and those who cannot accept the current situation are simply reduced to complaining and name calling. Not a very effective antidote to real life complaints. Simply enjoy your tobacco and quit tilting at the many windmills of life. You "nattering nabobs of negatively" (A Spiro quote. His only worthwhile one.) have a dull, poorly lived life ahead of you.

Warren, you are once again being the forum’s resident contrarian. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a positive post from you.

There are plenty of things in life that don’t necessarily benefit people, yet we defend and debate our right to access that thing. To say that “smokers have nothing to debate with” is wrong.

The woke culture is built on many things, but boredom is most certainly one of the elements. When you run out of things to complain about you must find something new, some new cause to “fight for.” That is what “woke” culture is all about. Now, I will give you that politicians are doing it mainly to get votes. You are correct about that. However, my point is that when there is very little to fix, politicians will find something to fix (take California for example), hence my use of the term boredom.

May God bless you on this fine Sunday, Warren. I hope that we can one day be brothers.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Nope, matey. As Warren pointed out, it's about power. That's why they're all about the money, because it buys power. Feeling good about themselves and virtue signaling it's a bonus, a weapon, and a means to mollify their already dormant consciences all at the same time. But even the 'woke' culture is about power: the power to rule the lives of others by means of humanitarian hoaxes.

Nowadays, it's not just about votes, however. There's plenty of power to gain through donations and association with lobby groups pushing humanitarian hoaxes: these power groups prop the politicos up and they in return enact legislation that pleases these groups.
The only “feel good” is the brainless voter that sets these Power Brokers above them with Cult like status and awe. Power then drains from the Individual to the coffers of the many.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not me brother...I know better than to dabble with juggling.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Embers probably juggles, smokes and plays with his Rubik's Cube all at the same time.
I contact, bounce, and figure 8 with three. I've yet to try silks though I've always wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.