Judge Rules That the FDA’s Cigar Box Warning Label Requirement Is Unconstitutional

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Unfortunately this ruling changes nothing for pioe tobacco. It does emphasize that the FDA hasn’t exactly turned square corners in following the Administrative Procedures Act, an avenue that might be fruitful for pipe tobacco. But no one has filed any such litigation, and they won’t. We suck hind tit.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
After 25 years in this country I am always amazed at some of the crazy stuff that gets enacted. I am always reminded of someone asking Ben Franklin after independence whether they were living in a democracy. Franklin replied to the effect that they were living in a Republic if they could protect it or something to that effect. It seems the courts have become something of a bulwark against the politicians 'wokeness' in certain areas. Let me pose a question to you lot. How many of you at age 12 went out to buy a $20 cigar based on the pretty picture on the box? I'll wager very few and the same applies to the pictures on pipe tobacco tins.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
After 25 years in this country I am always amazed at some of the crazy stuff that gets enacted. I am always reminded of someone asking Ben Franklin after independence whether they were living in a democracy. Franklin replied to the effect that they were living in a Republic if they could protect it or something to that effect. It seems the courts have become something of a bulwark against the politicians 'wokeness' in certain areas. Let me pose a question to you lot. How many of you at age 12 went out to buy a $20 cigar based on the pretty picture on the box? I'll wager very few and the same applies to the pictures on pipe tobacco tins.
Nah, 15 before I was that sophisticated puffy

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle

A woman asked Dr. Franklin as he was walking out of Independence Hall at the end of the Constitutional Convention: “Well Doctor what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?”
He replied “A republic if you can keep it."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How many of you at age 12 went out to buy a $20 cigar based on the pretty picture on the box? I'll wager very few and the same applies to the pictures on pipe tobacco tins.
"But, but, the statistics say [一块狗屎 ]; and in Europe they report that [一块狗屎 ]; and last month a survey reported that several youths under 17 had smoked a cigar! It's our duty to protect...." —Woke politico.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well good. Maybe this will get sufficient attention to add momentum to some pushback on various regulations making specifically pipe tobacco some kind of overt taboo. Equal rights for old geezers and the cohort of others who enjoy a wee bowl. Since Huckleberry Finn lit up his corncob pipe with corn silk, I can't remember seeing anyone much under 21 smoking a pipe or depicted doing so, if that is actually the rationale.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
"But, but, the statistics say [一块狗屎 ]; and in Europe they report that [一块狗屎 ]; and last month a survey reported that several youths under 17 had smoked a cigar! It's our duty to protect...." —Woke politico.
I think you’re onto something. Perhaps it is a Chinese conspiracy to make it illegal here so more supply can be available over there…

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think you’re onto something. Perhaps it is a Chinese conspiracy to make it illegal here so more supply can be available over there…
Haha, no, I used Chinese to signify the typefull of bullshit arguments your representatives write as a response when you write them a letter complaining/decrying some nonsensical regulation regarding tobacco.

Those characters I used are Chinese for 'piece of shit', which is too kind a term to refer to the utterances of politicians.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
After 25 years in this country I am always amazed at some of the crazy stuff that gets enacted. I am always reminded of someone asking Ben Franklin after independence whether they were living in a democracy. Franklin replied to the effect that they were living in a Republic if they could protect it or something to that effect.

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

Laws are often enacted because politicians have nothing better to do, and they want to feel good about themselves. Same thing with “woke” culture.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Laws are often enacted because politicians have nothing better to do, and they want to feel good about themselves.
Never! It is the pursuit of votes. The very idea that a politician would act out of boredom is laughable. Never underestimate a politician's drive, even when you think they are imbeciles. Battles are often lost because one derides/underestimates the opponent. All successful politicians have a base of support, they do nothing with a logical reason. To deny such is to put yourself on the losing side.

Smokers have nothing to debate with and those who cannot accept the current situation are simply reduced to complaining and name calling. Not a very effective antidote to real life complaints. Simply enjoy your tobacco and quit tilting at the many windmills of life. You "nattering nabobs of negatively" (A Spiro quote. His only worthwhile one.) have a dull, poorly lived life ahead of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.