PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Personal associations with pipes are great. The late great Sante sent me an estate Meerschaum, my first and only. The member that goes by peck sent me a gorgeous Ferndown along with Semois and an unopened tin of Frog Morton Cellar. And though it wasn't an estate pipe, the late Bob Hale, an award winning carver, sold me a new pipe he'd carved at about 1/3 asking price; he knew I admired his work and wanted me to have one, I guess. A pipe owned by Alfred Hitchcock is quite a provenance! I'm impressed.

Reactions: Bowie

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A pipe owned by Alfred Hitchcock is quite a provenance! I'm impressed.
Back when I bought it from Gus' Smoke Shop, it wasn't a big deal. Gus' had bought a bunch of pipes from the Hitchcock estate, all of them group 3 Dunhills, and all of them filthy. The man was as neglectful of his pipes as he was meticulous in his film work. All of them were almost completely filled with cake that had hardened into granite.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
That's awesome! I would love to see a picture of the Hitchcock pipe. I'm a huge fan.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I own two Dunhill's from the estate of Aaron Spelling:

dunhill-rootbriar-bent-600x379.jpg

dunhill-root-briar-bulldog-600x192.jpg

He also was not too kind to his pipes.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
I bought a couple lots off eBay to learn restoration and emailed the sellers. I got some interesting replies.

“The 2 kaywoodies were bought new by me. The Dr. Grabow, medico and yelp bole are probably 1960s, maybe 1970s at the latest. I bought those online through ebay. I believe the yelo bole is made of brylon, a material they were using in the 60s to simulate natural broad. I would smoke English blends in the tell bike, and virginia or Cavendish in the others. My favorite is Peter Stokesbye luxury twist. I am glad they arrived, and enjoy!”

Hello,
Thanks so much for your business. It just so happens I do know know the history. The pipes belonged to my dad. He would be 84. He used them during the end of the 50’s and early 60’s. He was in the Navy. I am not sure how long he had them before those times. I do not know the type of tobacco used. I could ask my mom but I am sure she wouldn’t know. My dad was killed while he was in the Navy in a flight accident. It is wonderful to know they will be enjoyed again.
Thanks so much”

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love getting some personal history on an estate pipe, but it's pretty rare.

Love Ray LaMontagne! His new album is excellent. I only heard that he was a pipe smoker, when Brian played one of his song on the podcast and mentioned it. This one is pretty haunting.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I enjoy knowing and am proud of the provenance of some of my pipes. I'll often ask sellers if they know anything about who previously owned some pipes. ?

Reactions: burleyboy

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have a large Grenci traded a Stanwell horn for it with a former member of this forum. The story was his uncle was in the army, in Italy he bought the pipe off Mr Grenci himself. Fast forward to Virginia where Uncle was in CIA, killed his wife, bagged her and she was found in dumpster. Member inherited his estate, they had no children. I told my wife the story and told her if I start smoking that pipe a lot you’d better start worrying. hahau

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I bought a couple of pipes from the Son of the Gentleman who owned the Tobacco Corner in Memphis. It was nice to talk to the Son and learn a bit about the man who owned them. He had a very good relationship with Savinelli and I was able to buy some really interesting pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ref. my earlier post, the North Carolina carver mentioned was Bob Hayes, not Hale. Just groggy or distracted I guess.
I'm surprised Hitchcock was a pipe slob. I'm sorry to hear it, but he was a film genius. Maybe the work was better than the person, which is often true. He had an exquisite eye for the lighting and composition of each scene and was a master of the ominous of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.