PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
I have collected two pipes over the years that were smoked by the famous director George Sidney--directed such hits as Anchors Away, The Three Musketeers,Annie get your gun, Show Boat,Kiss Me Kate,Pal Joey, Bye Bye Birdie, and Viva Las Vegas. He was an avid pipe enthusiast and always was seen with a pipe in his mouth or hand. He frequented Kramer's Pipe store in Hollywood and had many of his pipes banded and stamped with his name. Hoppes
An early KBB:
AN early Ben Wade. Has a gold band marked Oct 11th 2

Thanks for looking!! Hoppes

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have collected two pipes over the years that were smoked by the famous director George Sidney--directed such hits as Anchors Away, The Three Musketeers,Annie get your gun, Show Boat,Kiss Me Kate,Pal Joey, Bye Bye Birdie, and Viva Las Vegas. He was an avid pipe enthusiast and always was seen with a pipe in his mouth or hand. He frequented Kramer's Pipe store in Hollywood and had many of his pipes banded and stamped with his name. Hoppes
View attachment 15473
An early KBB:
View attachment 15475
View attachment 15476
View attachment 15477
AN early Ben Wade. Has a gold band marked Oct 11th 2

View attachment 15478
View attachment 15479
View attachment 15480
Thanks for looking!! Hoppes
A couple of years back, a number of Sidney's pipes went up for auction on eBay, from a seller in Las Vegas, mostly Barlings and Dunhills. That Ben Wade is a nice find. I'm guessing that the band is an aftermarket addition since it overlaps the COM stamp.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
A couple of years back, a number of Sidney's pipes went up for auction on eBay, from a seller in Las Vegas, mostly Barlings and Dunhills. That Ben Wade is a nice find. I'm guessing that the band is an aftermarket addition since it overlaps the COM stamp.
The stamping on the band probably represents a special date or event. Maybe a gift from someone?? It is not a repair since the pipe is solid. Al Kramer apparently made up the name stamp for Sidney. He banded other pipes for him that I have seen. I'll pass them on to someone else in the future---keep the circle going!! Hoppes

Baba

Lurker
Jan 21, 2020
Very cool
Hi Hoppes i'm new to pipes mag, been piping for 3mnths, had chinese cheapy not smoker! I found ONLINE a man selling
A little random post.

I recently acquired an estate pipe that belonged to Ray Lamontagne. Although I was superficially aware of his music, I had not downloaded any of his work until I found out that he was the previous owner of my the estate pipe. Since then I have become a big fan.

Also, I saw one of my prior pipes on a web post and contacted the new owner to let him know the history. He was thrilled to learn the information. We are now friends and chat often.

Anyone else know the previous owner of an estate pipe or have a pipe from someone known to history?

Also, FYI,

From Pipes Magazine Radio Show (Brian played a Lamontagne tune) Pipes Magazine Radio Show Episode 373 - https://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-373/

21 Things You Didn’t Know About Ray LaMontagne - https://blog.napster.com/2016/03/09/21-things-didnt-know-ray-lamontagne/ (see #9)

Ray of Light - https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/ray-of-light-1.1192522 ;
H
Very cool
Hi NPOD I just join pipemag, ur post got me?, I've been piper for 4-5 months 1st z cheap chinabpipe not good smoker. ONLINE i found a man selling estate pipes,went bit far have 40+pipes now. One is handmade by Frenchmen 80yrs ago unsmoked. Can't find maker or mark.Bowl has a great patina since using it. A FAV &a big ben churchwarden, s salvinellie(i think its name)& Dr Grabows-? Nice smokers+German hunters pipes+more ?these are my fav. Id luv to know makers of italian french german swiss pipes. Sadly can't find out! Regards Baba thanks for ur post very insightful.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.