PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Yeah that video was incredible. The article said the only thing standing was the refrigerator and they crawled out through a hole in it. Such a catastrophe.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
My girlfriends family lives about 10 minutes from Joplin and they have many friends whose houses were destroyed in Joplin. It is rough watching the destruction after seeing it all before the tornadoes.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
What a shame. Good video.
At about the 2:00 minute mark you can hear what a lot of people describe as the sound of a "train coming".

Having been through a couple of them,....it sounds nothing like a train,...it sounds like a tornado.
My prayers go out to all of those affected.
Thanks for posting, Lawrence.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I fought back tears while I watched the news accounts. A friend on a non-pipe forum lost his home, but at least his family is safe. Our area was hit with severe storms yesterday, but nothing like Missouri and other parts of the South have had to endure.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I may be heading out there for work in the next week or so. I think once work is done, I may stay a few extra days and try to volunteer somewhere. And give blood.

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
Just for Him reported that most of their regular Joplin customers reported in and were ok. I live in Springfield and have just been amazed at how the area has been pulling together to help. The first night they had to turn volunteers away because there were so many people showing up. The Sheriff dept I used to work at sent 40 officers and the mobile command center up to assist Jasper Co and Joplin PD. You can text JOPLIN to 864833 (United Way) to make a donation, also several places are taking bottled water, diapers, non perishable donations to Joplin.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Me and my brother are planning to drive up there Saturday to see if we can help out. Gotta be gone by Sunday though as our fearless leader will be arriving for his photo-op, and we don't want to get stuck in all the traffic and movement restrictions* that will follow him in. :roll:

After a major disaster, you would think that people as high profile as the president would figure out that they aren't helping anything by showing up, their just getting in the way and hindering those who WANT to help.**
There are several donation drop-offs in town here, and I'm sure the Red Cross is working in places too. Hopefully FEMA will allow the donations to go where their needed this time.
*Secret Service and other LE barricades,

**It's common sense not politics

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Wow, just found this thread...I have lived in Joplin for the last 7-8 years and this was a very emotional time. My sister's high school graduation was the day of the tornado and my father and them lost their house. Luckily my house is large enough that the four of them stayed here for a few months while insurance got worked out. Being an EMT as soon as I found out my family was ok I went to help with search and rescue. It means a lot to see that all of you were thinking about us. I am so glad I found this forum.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Grizzly, we're glad your family suffered only a material loss.

That April was tough for all of us.

I live very near Tuscaloosa.

We had bad twisters all around us, that night.

The "we're in this together" feeling is still here and palpable.

It's that 9/12 kind of feeling.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Hang in there Grizzly. I know it must still be a mess down there, and your being in Emergency Services I am sure you have dealt with alot. I saw a special on ESPN about the football team and how they have tried to be an inspiration to the community.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Been to Joplin twice in the past year (all Bugler RYO pouches are printed at Bemis there, as well as Half and Half and a few others). You can still see the swath where the twister came through.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
@LeonardW Yeah, it's kinda weird sometimes. My wife or I will say "Hey lets go to...O yeah, they're gone." It's getting better though, the rebuilding is going good.

Status
Not open for further replies.