PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Hey all,

I noticed a while back that Sillem's is now under John Aylesbury. Figured it out first when purchasing Sillems Linea Epoque from TheStoryTellersPipe. This morning, I looked on Boswell's site and noticed they now stock John Aylesbury Black. I am genuinely curious as to whether they are the same thing.

Also, has anyone here tried it? Would love to read a review. As I remember it, Sillem's Black is a bit of a crossover blend and I am interested in trying them.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
After listening to Allen Schwartz and, with what Brian has hinted at since he is no longer in "the business", I suspect this is the case in a lot of instances.

Mike S.

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
I just ordered a tin on Boswell's site. I never looked close enough before but they have a nice selection of tinned tobacco.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I just ordered a tin on Boswell's site. I never looked close enough before but they have a nice selection of tinned tobacco.

They really do. I have actually found that smaller shops with sites tend to have certain blends that larger retailers may run out of. As for the John Aylesbury tobacco, I think I may just pull the trigger on a tin myself. I have heard too many good things about Sillem's not to try.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Pipedia lists some information on Sillem’s and Aylesbury, but it’s limited.

When I’ve asked about them, I’ve been told they are the same, just that for exporting reasons, the name changed. This is all I know. But there are websites and email addresses, so imam going to contact and see if a I can get a

Just Google Sillem’s Tobacco, the URL/Address not working here on the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawyer66

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Pipedia lists some information on Sillem’s and Aylesbury, but it’s limited.

When I’ve asked about them, I’ve been told they are the same, just that for exporting reasons, the name changed. This is all I know. But there are websites and email addresses, so imam going to contact and see if a I can get a reply.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Sillem's

Funnily enough, in posing the original question, I alerted everyone to the availability of Sillem's Black (John Aylesbury Black) at Boswell's. I completely forgot to order a tin for myself and by the time I tried they were out of stock?

Thanks for looking into this one?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Before the Edit time ran out, I was saying I’m contacting John Aylesbury.

The Pipedia shows their website, which mentions pretty much the same, that John Aylesbury are theses local German businesses.

Funny thing, Black isn’t even listed on their site, I wonder if they stopped making it. Hmm ?

I have one tin of Black I bought last month from The Story Teller’s Pipe.

04AA58B7-76BE-426A-8FC5-0C47751DE3DC.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Before the Edit time ran out, I was saying I’m contacting John Aylesbury.

The Pipedia shows their website, which mentions pretty much the same, that John Aylesbury are theses local German businesses.

Funny thing, Black isn’t even listed on their site, I wonder if they stopped making it. Hmm ?

I have one tin of Black I bought last month from The Story Teller’s Pipe.

View attachment 56576
Did you ever get a reply from the companies?