PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I got a Jobey Gondoli 970 pipe today at an antique shop for $20. It is in great condition with a beautiful lucite stem (my first lucite!). I know the screw-in tenons are replaceable in these, but I don't know if I need to replace it or not. It looks fine, but just keeps turning around in the stem side. The screw-in side is fine I think. It's just the stem side of the tenon that keeps turning around. So is there a way that it is supposed to be put in for it to stick, or is it just worn down and I need a new one?
I'm new to these tenons so please enlighten me! Hw do these suckers work? :puffy:

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Pull-off the stem and the threaded portion can be backed-out with a screw-driver. (Yes it should spin freely, but abut the shank if "dialed-in" properly) When the threads are just right, it'll snap together like an air hose and be nice and tight, and always aligned where you want it.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks, modernchicago! So from what I understand, from you and a few other searches about it... my pipe is fine? The tenon is supposed to turn around freely in the stem (not glued or anything) and the the shank has the tenon screwed into it. Am I understanding this correctly?
Also (assuming I understand right), this tenon design should mean that I can pull the stem off the tenon mid-smoke so long as the tenon remains screwed into the shank. That usually isn't good because of the briar expanding while hot and the risk of cracking the shank, but since the the tenon stays in the shank it is ok to remove the stem for clearing condensation mid-smoke, right?

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
exactomundo. The farther into the shank the receiver is threaded, the more the stem has to "reach" for the detent. When it's just right, you'll know it, and the stem will "friction-fit" firmly against the end of the shank.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
the repacement part is very cheap, to see if it works better
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=job0link
Hope this helps
Tom

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Because of the "tendon issue" is why I don't very many Jobeys. I have 3 and 2 of the tendons stay put when I try to unscrew them from the shank. So it's out with the pliers to remove the tendon. Eventually I got bored with this and just put them away. Too bad they smoke pretty good and are nice to look at - just can't be bothered with the extra schlepage.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the tip on Jobey's. I have a loose stem on mine and I am going to give this a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.