Jim's Wilke Butterscotch Black Cavendish Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale this weekend.

The deeply rich, punchy butterscotch is sweet and also sports a mildly savory burnt toast, lightly bitter and sugary with a small floral note and a pleasantly lingering after taste and room note. The strength is a step shy of the medium mark. The taste is medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the center of mild to medium. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. The tobacco is a little moist, but I saw no need to dry it. Burns cool, clean and rather smooth with no artificial or chemical notes to the finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Butterscotch used to be one of the standard ice cream toppings for sundaes, along with chocolate, hot fudge, and strawberry. Alas, somewhere along the way it was dropped in favor of caramel and other flavor sauces, maybe because it is a difficult flavor to get just right. So I'm glad to see it resurface even if I have to smoke it instead of enjoy it on a dessert. I'm not an aromatic smoker first, but this sounds first rate for an aromatic change of pace.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Butterscotch used to be one of the standard ice cream toppings for sundaes, along with chocolate, hot fudge, and strawberry. Alas, somewhere along the way it was dropped in favor of caramel and other flavor sauces, maybe because it is a difficult flavor to get just right. So I'm glad to see it resurface even if I have to smoke it instead of enjoy it on a dessert. I'm not an aromatic smoker first, but this sounds first rate for an aromatic change of pace.
I agree. Without looking at the jar I can't remember but there is only one kind of butterscotch topping I like and about two or three other brands that are just "off" in taste for me.

This tobacco sounds very interesting!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This goes on sale this weekend.

The deeply rich, punchy butterscotch is sweet and also sports a mildly savory burnt toast, lightly bitter and sugary with a small floral note and a pleasantly lingering after taste and room note. The strength is a step shy of the medium mark. The taste is medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the center of mild to medium. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. The tobacco is a little moist, but I saw no need to dry it. Burns cool, clean and rather smooth with no artificial or chemical notes to the finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars.
Sounds like a basic aro upped into something a little more special. Or in other words sounds good.

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
as I go through the journey of trying a bunch of stuff I find I do love me some cavendish. And now it’s got a butterscotch flavoring? dear god, this might put me in TAD overdrive. I got a sampler with Rum and Maple and PB&C. I like the Rum and Maple but I freakin love the PB&C. Would you say this blend is closer to PB&C cause it sure sounds like it

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
as I go through the journey of trying a bunch of stuff I find I do love me some cavendish. And now it’s got a butterscotch flavoring? dear god, this might put me in TAD overdrive. I got a sampler with Rum and Maple and PB&C. I like the Rum and Maple but I freakin love the PB&C. Would you say this blend is closer to PB&C cause it sure sounds like it
No, because it's different flavors in each.

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Fair enough. I will rephrase with do you think it as sweet as PB&C? Your description of a Reese’s PB&C cup is on the button. While the rum and maple is a different flavor, I also wouldn’t describe it as sweet. Just curious. I’m ordering some regardless. I’m like the others thinking about a butterscotch topped sundae and drooling all over the place. Thanks for the review and insight.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Fair enough. I will rephrase with do you think it as sweet as PB&C? Your description of a Reese’s PB&C cup is on the button. While the rum and maple is a different flavor, I also wouldn’t describe it as sweet. Just curious. I’m ordering some regardless. I’m like the others thinking about a butterscotch topped sundae and drooling all over the place. Thanks for the review and insight.
You're very welcome. I would say the Butterscotch blend is mildly sweet because the other flavor aspects play such an important role. PB&C is sweeter.

scout19d3

Can't Leave
Jul 6, 2021
Katy, TX USA
I needed to reorder some of Wilke's Continental ('burned' through most of my initial 1/2 lb. purchase very quickly) and about that same time I received an email announcing their Butterscotch Black Cavendish - wow!

Based on my enjoyment of all the Wilke tobaccos I've tried so far <particularly their Peanut Butter, & Peanut Butter & Chocolate>, I ordered 1 lb. of each.

The package arrived today, I'm in the process of storing/cellaring most of it, but I'll sample the Butterscotch Black Cavendish within the hour!
wilkeTobacco.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Lunchtime sampling going very well! This was so fresh, as usual, with John that I let it dry out semi-covered overnight and it was perfect. The aroma/flavor IMO is a success according to my now fully restored senses. And the advantage to me with the all Cavendish is getting the full notes of the Cavendish and confirmation of a flavor element I like, which is useful in my journey.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Edit window expired so . . .

Just mentioning when I went back to the garage to head back to work from lunch the "garage note" was a creamy butterscotch, which I found interesting because I don't usually get anything that specific in the garage that is present in a significant way after most "sessions" out there. FWIW.