Jim's Watch City American Cut Plug Mixture Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I will definitely try some of this....it sounds like something that will enter my regular rotation.

Glad to hear it will be offered regularly instead of a limited release!!

Reactions: JimInks and Tate

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ernie at Watch City wrote this elsewhere: Watch City will be making American Cut Plug Mixture part of it's ongoing menu next Wednesday @ Noon Eastern. It's possible that it will sell out at first, but it's not limited and will be back ASAP.

Pipe&Chess

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2022
Brazil
Looking forward to trying it - I have a friend here in Brazil that brings Watch City tobacco every time he goes to the US, will give him the heads up, hopefully next time he goes he´s able to bring us some...

Reactions: Rockyrepose

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
It would make stocking up more tempting if more bulk blends were offered in those Mylar (cellar-ready) bags. I would rather pay extra and get blends in either 4, 8, or even 16oz increments.
I mean, mylar bags aren't exactly expensive. Just buy some, buy the tobacco you want in bulk and store it away, that's what I do.

Reactions: FurCoat
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
This might not be the right thread for it, but what does "cut plug" generally mean? Obviously, it's tobacco that started out as a pressed block and got cut into pieces, but it's kind of a hard one for Google to work with. GH&Co has a couple of "cut plugs" that I would call "broken flakes". The photo upstream makes it seem like small chunks at most. Is it just a catch-all for whatever you get when you cut a plug in several directions?

Reactions: briarfoxx

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
This might not be the right thread for it, but what does "cut plug" generally mean? Obviously, it's tobacco that started out as a pressed block and got cut into pieces, but it's kind of a hard one for Google to work with. GH&Co has a couple of "cut plugs" that I would call "broken flakes". The photo upstream makes it seem like small chunks at most. Is it just a catch-all for whatever you get when you cut a plug in several directions?
In my opinion, a plug that is cut is a flake. After that it can be broken or not.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Finally smoked my first bowl of this in my first pipe: an inexpensive Butz-Choquin 1320 bent billiard.

It’s really good.

For whatever reason, I find that a good pipe tobacco is more satisfying the farther into the bowl I get. As someone who started pipe smoking for the first time earlier this year, I wonder if this could be the result of over-charring the tobacco—I have developed a nice, slow smoking cadence, which is why I suspect it’s the initial light that causes first third of the bowl harshness. After that first third, the charring light surface is all ash and the slow smoking cadence may be what translates into a far more enjoyable mid- and end-bowl experience. (If any of you more experienced pipers have thoughts on this, I’d love to know!)

Back to the blend, the first third of the bowl seemed fairly average. A little more bitter and dry than I like.

I’m pretty sure my theory about overdoing my char light is correct because the second and third parts of the bowl were amazing!

From that point forward, the tobacco smoked cool and produced lovely clouds of smoke (even with a slow, shallow draw) with a homey, mildly sweet smell.

The tip-of-the tongue flavor is sweet and nutty, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy and full. There’s something pleasingly malty around the sides of my tongue. The retrohale is silky-smooth—while I love a good sour (Oriental) or astringent (Perique) retro, those characteristics wouldn’t fit this comforting, comfortable blend.

Well done, @ernieq & @JimInks.