PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The twelve grades of the fermented, very floral Virginias from several continents are spearheaded by reds and brights as the lead components. They offer a wealth of tart and tangy citrus, vegetative grass, bread, some very sour lemon, tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, sugar, hay, spice, light smokiness, peat, and a touch of acidity. The peppery St. James perique produces a lot of earth, wood, sweet plums, raisins and figs. It plays a support role. The sweet, earthy, nutty, woody, bready burleys are a couple of slots behind the perique. A tangy, fruity topping/casing very mildly tones down the varietals. The strength, nic-hit, and taste levels are a couple of steps past the medium mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does sport a few very small rough edges as is typical of blends in this genre. The crumble cake is mildly moist and as is my usual custom, I did not dry it nor did I see a need to. Your mileage may vary on this point. Deeply rich, and well balanced with some savory, piquant complexity, it burns cool, clean and slow with a very consistent fermented fruity sweet, floral, spicy, mildly nutty, sugary, lightly sour, fairly smooth flavor that extends to long lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. It is not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. I suggest a small to medium, wide bowl for this blend. Four stars.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Sounds awesome! A big thank you for your knowledge and amazing palate! A couple of years ago when I was a newbie I would read your reviews and think; no way this guy gets all those flavors, tobacco taste like tobacco, he's blowing smoke up our arse. Fast forward a few years and I've read your review on every tobacco I've purchased and thought about purchasing. The nuances of the tobacco I now notice are growing with every smoke. I use your reviews as a tasting note like that given by a sommelier. Without thinking about the tobacco, just like with wine they taste like tobacco and wine. When you have a guide to know what secrets lie within you eventually learn how to coax them out for yourself. My enjoyment of the hobby is definitely increasing with the refining of my palate. I've still got along way to go to get half of the flavors you do, but I'm getting better one bowl at a time.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sounds awesome! A big thank you for your knowledge and amazing palate! A couple of years ago when I was a newbie I would read your reviews and think; no way this guy gets all those flavors, tobacco taste like tobacco, he's blowing smoke up our arse. Fast forward a few years and I've read your review on every tobacco I've purchased and thought about purchasing. The nuances of the tobacco I now notice are growing with every smoke. I use your reviews as a tasting note like that given by a sommelier. Without thinking about the tobacco, just like with wine they taste like tobacco and wine. When you have a guide to know what secrets lie within you eventually learn how to coax them out for yourself. My enjoyment of the hobby is definitely increasing with the refining of my palate. I've still got along way to go to get half of the flavors you do, but I'm getting better one bowl at a time.
Thank you for the kind words. It took me years of hard work to get to this point. I am lucky to have good enough taste genetics, but experience is just as good or a better teacher. I obtained every strain of every varietal I could get my hands on, and repeatedly smoked them straight to understand them. Over the years, I asked several master blenders plenty of questions to help me go further with that. Even now, I will say it is a continually learning process.

And, I had to work hard on this review to make it as accurate as I possibly could. The peeking through the topping/casing to understand the tobacco underneath took me a lot of bowls of tobacco to figure it out.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Thank you for the kind words. It took me years of hard work to get to this point. I am lucky to have good enough taste genetics, but experience is just as good or a better teacher. I obtained every strain of every varietal I could get my hands on, and repeatedly smoked them straight to understand them. Over the years, I asked several master blenders plenty of questions to help me go further with that. Even now, I will say it is a continually learning process.

And, I had to work hard on this review to make it as accurate as I possibly could. The peeking through the topping/casing to understand the tobacco underneath took me a lot of bowls of tobacco to figure it out.
My aha moment was your review of Erinmore and your reference to Juicy Fruit gum. I love Juicy Fruit for the 30 seconds it has flavor so I immediately fired up a bowl and Bob's your uncle Juicy Fruit.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for putting in the time for another great review Jim. They're always invaluable.

You sometimes recommend shallow and wide bowls. What's the ballpark size for that in your mind? I don't often find pipes with both.
As this blend has some strength and complexity, I think a wide bowl like a pot or apple would work best to capture it all. There are small and medium shapes like that. An author pipe would work, too.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hmmm... I'm a bird on the fence about Whimsical. I got a tin of Uno to try (still waiting to finish something else first) and Anamolous scheduled for February 2023 piqued my interest. Whimsical sounds a like a good VaPer, but maybe a bit too stout for me in the nicotine department. Maybe I should just consider some Sutliff 1849 instead as that has also been on my "wanna try" list for awhile and is supposedly more mild. I believe that the other three blends in the "Birds of a Feather" all contain Rustica, so those are an easy pass for me!

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
The twelve grades of the fermented, very floral Virginias from several continents are spearheaded by reds and brights as the lead components. They offer a wealth of tart and tangy citrus, vegetative grass, bread, some very sour lemon, tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, sugar, hay, spice, light smokiness, peat, and a touch of acidity. The peppery St. James perique produces a lot of earth, wood, sweet plums, raisins and figs. It plays a support role. The sweet, earthy, nutty, woody, bready burleys are a couple of slots behind the perique. A tangy, fruity topping/casing very mildly tones down the varietals. The strength, nic-hit, and taste levels are a couple of steps past the medium mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It does sport a few very small rough edges as is typical of blends in this genre. The crumble cake is mildly moist and as is my usual custom, I did not dry it nor did I see a need to. Your mileage may vary on this point. Deeply rich, and well balanced with some savory, piquant complexity, it burns cool, clean and slow with a very consistent fermented fruity sweet, floral, spicy, mildly nutty, sugary, lightly sour, fairly smooth flavor that extends to long lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. It is not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. I suggest a small to medium, wide bowl for this blend. Four stars.

You know Jim, when I only posted on PSF back in the day before it rebranded, I always used your reviews to help me decide on blends that were worth my money. Especially as a newbie that moved from purely English blends into VaPers, Straight VAs and whatnot.

Obviously taste is subjective, but I always felt like your reviews were nuanced and unbiased and I personally cannot recall a blend you rated highly that I was disappointed in.

A refined since of taste isn’t gifted to everyone, but if I get half of what you pick up, I know this blend will also be one that ages well and also smokes good fresh from the tin.

Thanks for always letting us know your opinions on the product vs the hype.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You know Jim, when I only posted on PSF back in the day before it rebranded, I always used your reviews to help me decide on blends that were worth my money. Especially as a newbie that moved from purely English blends into VaPers, Straight VAs and whatnot.

Obviously taste is subjective, but I always felt like your reviews were nuanced and unbiased and I personally cannot recall a blend you rated highly that I was disappointed in.

A refined since of taste isn’t gifted to everyone, but if I get half of what you pick up, I know this blend will also be one that ages well and also smokes good fresh from the tin.

Thanks for always letting us know your opinions on the product vs the hype.
I thank you for the kind words. I'm pleased that the reviews help you. They are my gift to our community, and I do try my best to do my best.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Jim is a national pipe smoking treasure and needs protected, as his fans do Willy Nelson. Jim smokes every popular blend, and some obscure ones, for our benefit.

Back when I was a kid in FFA in Missouri’s dairy belt we could elect to learn dairy products tasting. Maybe FFA kids in Kentucky or Virginia used to taste tobacco, but such a practice couldn’t survive modern times.

Fifty years ago in Humansville was an old man named Jack Bishop, who when he was younger was sought out by moonshiners to taste the first runs of their stills. If Jack approved, the run was salable. If Jack got sick or had a bad hangover they kept running it.

He lived to be nearly a hundred, but there’s more old drunks than there are old doctors, as the saying goes.:)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Any reason I should choose this over LJ Peretti's #8 Slices? Which is an amazing VaPerBur.

The topping on Whimsical really has me on the fence.
Thanks for the review I read it on TR 15min after you posted it!
The topping/casing is very mild.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I got me a few tins uno when it came out. Went to a local B&M in the nearby city and they had like 20 tins!!!! This was easy a month or more after it was released. So with gratitude and a smile, I purchased another 5 tins. This time around for whimsical I was low on funds at time of release, but out of curiosity I wanted to see how fast it would sell out. So I head over to TobaccoPipes.com because they show current stock. They launched on time and had 380 tins, which sold out in minutes. So I figured I missed out on it if it sold out so fast there everywhere has to be out. We'll thank the heavens for direct deposit because that morning I got paid and I started searching. Little did I know smoking pipes wasn't up yet or they had way more stock then TobaccoPipes.com because they had it and I was able to scoop up tins. Thankfully because I almost had to buy them from another place that was charging 4 dollors more per tin. I'm not saying I wouldn't have still gotten it if I couldn't find it but I was able to purchase an extra tin due to the savings. So that was my whimsical adventure and eagerly awaiting the next release.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
After trying some tonight, I am going to give it some time to age and see if it changes, but was actually not a big fan currently.

Honestly, I will wait to decide and will not passing judgement on the 1st bowl and write it off, as it couldve been something I ate or whatnot, but it did not taste good until the final 3rd of the bowl.

It was too bitter and "green" for my liking. Like eating a green persimmon (and if you have ever done that - you know what I am talking about)

Hoping it was just the pipe I used (only ever used for VaPers) but it gave me that sickly bitter and sour taste like I get before I get sick.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I thought this review was a silly joke at first. Like Jim was imagining a kitchen sink blend blended into a kitchen sink blend. Like he looked up the terms he used to describe flavors and just added every single one. Now I see it's a real product and frankly I am mildly disappointed.

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard