PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
How big of a role does the latakia play? Lately I just haven't been in the mood for it.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
How big of a role does the latakia play? Lately I just haven't been in the mood for it.
More often than not, you get a light smokiness in the side stream. It's a tad inconsistent in that way, which is rather typical for crumble cakes when you have several varietals in the mix. But, the smokiness is the aspect that I noticed the most from it.

If you're interested, and that Lat concerns you right now, it may not later with a little age.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
After reading Jim’s review, I went to SP just to take a look. You know, see if they had sold out yet so I could feel disappointed that I missed it. But, then I read a review on SP by Dave da Dragon.

Needless to say, I bought three tins of Uno, an Edisto and three tins of Windjammer.
Hey the Edisto was on sale and my one year old tin of ‘jammer has transformed into a really amazing smoke - need to start aging some of that right!?

gastro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 3, 2020
Twin Cities, Minnesota
After reading Jim’s review, I went to SP just to take a look. You know, see if they had sold out yet so I could feel disappointed that I missed it. But, then I read a review on SP by Dave da Dragon.

Needless to say, I bought three tins of Uno, an Edisto and three tins of Windjammer.
Hey the Edisto was on sale and my one year old tin of ‘jammer has transformed into a really amazing smoke - need to start aging some of that right!?
I got 3 uno, 2 edisto & the Of Pipes & Men book

Reactions: Fralphog

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
Based on @JimInks review and with some help from my new friend @OSOBUCO, I just cracked open a tin and packed a bowl in an unsmoked Georg Jensen Achat 76 bent egg briar I found on eBay and have dedicated to Per Georg Jensen‘s blends (a little tribute to the son via the father’s pipe).

I’ve never tasted anything quite like this. The whole experience somehow is even greater than the sum of the many parts (three Virginias, two periques, DFK, unflavored black cavendish, and a reserved measure of Latakia).

The Katerini Perique is subtle and, well, unique. To me, it adds less “taste” than fragrance—like magnolia blossoms. The St. James perique is always there, but feels restrained except in the retrohale. Similarly, the Latakia is a constant presence, but lurks in the shadows—look the other way and you might forget it’s there for an minute. The Virginias are fuller and richer than they are sweet. I’m sensitive to Dark Fired Kentucky, but not in this blend—I can taste its nuttiness, but far in the background. And the unflavored Black Cavendish ties everything together nicely and helps the Katerini Perique to create a delicious coating on my tongue and mouth.

Speaking of the Cav, I’m smoking on a breezy porch and sipping the pipe so I can’t really gauge the volume of smoke, but it doesn’t seem to billow and the mouthfeel is more half-and-half than heavy cream.

The blend burns cool and I haven’t had a hint of tongue bite or a whisper of harshness.

To me, the best part of a good blend is the bottom of the bowl, and this is no exception. It burned down to fine ash and left an amazing aftertaste that somehow lingered as much on my lips as in my mouth.

Really glad to have had a chance to experience this one.

@JimInks, I just received a tin of the Edward G. Robinson blend and will be trying that one soon. Any recommendations for the right kind of pipe?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Based on @JimInks review and with some help from my new friend @OSOBUCO, I just cracked open a tin and packed a bowl in an unsmoked Georg Jensen Achat 76 bent egg briar I found on eBay and have dedicated to Per Georg Jensen‘s blends (a little tribute to the son via the father’s pipe).

I’ve never tasted anything quite like this. The whole experience somehow is even greater than the sum of the many parts (three Virginias, two periques, DFK, unflavored black cavendish, and a reserved measure of Latakia).

The Katerini Perique is subtle and, well, unique. To me, it adds less “taste” than fragrance—like magnolia blossoms. The St. James perique is always there, but feels restrained except in the retrohale. Similarly, the Latakia is a constant presence, but lurks in the shadows—look the other way and you might forget it’s there for an minute. The Virginias are fuller and richer than they are sweet. I’m sensitive to Dark Fired Kentucky, but not in this blend—I can taste its nuttiness, but far in the background. And the unflavored Black Cavendish ties everything together nicely and helps the Katerini Perique to create a delicious coating on my tongue and mouth.

Speaking of the Cav, I’m smoking on a breezy porch and sipping the pipe so I can’t really gauge the volume of smoke, but it doesn’t seem to billow and the mouthfeel is more half-and-half than heavy cream.

The blend burns cool and I haven’t had a hint of tongue bite or a whisper of harshness.

To me, the best part of a good blend is the bottom of the bowl, and this is no exception. It burned down to fine ash and left an amazing aftertaste that somehow lingered as much on my lips as in my mouth.

Really glad to have had a chance to experience this one.

@JimInks, I just received a tin of the Edward G. Robinson blend and will be trying that one soon. Any recommendations for the right kind of pipe?
I'm pleased that my reviews have helped you. AS for EGR, I find a narrow chamber doesn't work well for me. I greatly prefer a wide bowl like an author, egg, pot, tomato, etc. And don't over puff. Smoke it at a moderate rate.

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
I'm pleased that my reviews have helped you. AS for EGR, I find a narrow chamber doesn't work well for me. I greatly prefer a wide bowl like an author, egg, pot, tomato, etc. And don't over puff. Smoke it at a moderate rate.
Thanks, Jim! Tried EGR yesterday in the widest bowl I have (a Morgan Bones “Rushmore,” the shape of which I don’t really know how to categorize—see photo below).

I found it to be one of the most pleasant smokes I’ve had in my < 1 year piping journey. I’ve been a bit Burley-shy, and the first third of the bowl was unusual for me—might have been the cinnamon(?). As it deepened, the wine notes developed in a really surprising and enjoyable way. I love the bottom of a bowl of good tobacco, and that’s where EGR shined brightest—a delicious, warm mouthful of stewed fruit and mulled wine.

I‘ll be honest: the blend sounded like something I wouldn’t enjoy. I’m very happy to have taken a chance and been proved wrong!

IMG_2356.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks, Jim! Tried EGR yesterday in the widest bowl I have (an Morgan Bones “Rushmore,” the shape of which I don’t really know how to categorize—see photo below).

I found it to be one of the most pleasant smokes I’ve had in my < 1 year piping journey. I’ve been a bit Burley-shy, and the first third of the bowl was unusual for me—might have been the cinnamon(?). As it deepened, the wine notes developed in a really surprising and enjoyable way. I love the bottom of a bowl of good tobacco, and that’s where EGR shined brightest—a delicious, warm mouthful of stewed fruit and mulled wine.

I‘ll be honest: the blend sounded like something I wouldn’t enjoy. I’m very happy to have taken a chance and been proved wrong!

View attachment 260615
Glad you liked it. EGR makes a good opener for me every day.

Reactions: Friendly Piper
H

HRPufnstuf

Sounds like what I would call a "round" smoke. Full of interesting and layered complimentary aromas and flavours.
You make it sound delicious.

Like Christmas pudding or dark fruitcake. I can hardly wait!

Reactions: Friendly Piper