PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This blend is only sold in eight ounce cans, and will be available Friday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. EST.

The dark fired Kentucky provides a fair amount of earth, wood, vegetation, herbs, floralness, some spice, nuts, mild sourness, and a bare hint of barbecue as the lead component. The earthy, nutty, woody, bready, sugary burleys are just above secondary support status. The Virginias produce light tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, floralness, sugar, and a pinch of spice. They are a step below the burleys, and above the condiment line. The maple topping moderately tones down the varietals, and slightly weakens after the half way point. The mixture starts out just above the medium mark, but gains a little strength after the first quarter of the bowl. The strength, nic-hit, and taste levels are a notch short of the center of medium to strong. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a mostly consistent sweet and spicy, floral, herbal, nutty, mildly sour, savory flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is just a touch above being pleasant. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and doesn’t require many relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable. Four stars.

seabee1999

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
I had an opportunity to try some of this at my local pipe club. To me, it was a very pleasant smoke with a wonderful, autumnal tin note. I was able to get wisps of cinnamon and maple from the sample bag. A little less than 1/4 a way through the bowl those scents translated quite nicely in the taste, almost all the way to the end. Again, it was a pleasant smoke and one I’d like to have over the cooler autumn evenings.

Jan 18, 2023
This blend is only sold in eight ounce cans, and will be available Friday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. EST.

The dark fired Kentucky provides a fair amount of earth, wood, vegetation, herbs, floralness, some spice, nuts, mild sourness, and a bare hint of barbecue as the lead component. The earthy, nutty, woody, bready, sugary burleys are just above secondary support status. The Virginias produce light tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, floralness, sugar, and a pinch of spice. They are a step below the burleys, and above the condiment line. The maple topping moderately tones down the varietals, and slightly weakens after the half way point. The mixture starts out just above the medium mark, but gains a little strength after the first quarter of the bowl. The strength, nic-hit, and taste levels are a notch short of the center of medium to strong. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a mostly consistent sweet and spicy, floral, herbal, nutty, mildly sour, savory flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is just a touch above being pleasant. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and doesn’t require many relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable. Four stars.
You could make spring water sound like its the greatest stuff ever. I sit here and smoke a blend read what you taste and wonder how i ended up with dullest tongue on the planet. Im like no my dude, I dont taste this 😂

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
You could make spring water sound like its the greatest stuff ever. I sit here and smoke a blend read what you taste and wonder how i ended up with dullest tongue on the planet. Im like no my dude, I dont taste this 😂
Everyone's palates have different sensitivity levels (amount of stuff you can taste), but the majority of a palate's discernment comes from experience and comparative analysis.

Jim smokes several bowls before he makes a review and doesn't get everything on the first bowlful, and he's smoked for a long time and smoked many different things.

If you want to have a more developed palate, it helps to try several things that are less complex. Like trying different straight VAs from different brands, try different types of VAs, etc. Then do the same with burley, compare burley to VA, etc and you'll start noticing the differences. Your palate will slowly become more refined and you'll be better able to notice things.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I don't see any mention of it being a limited edition on the tin, and the tin isn't numbered. They did stamp the production date on the bottom, though. Since it's meant to be a Halloween blend, I assumed it was seasonal, but I could be wrong about that.
Smoking Pipes website: Sutliff's Maple Shadows is a limited-release, seasonal blend inspired by the eerier aspects of the Fall season.
FWIW, there's a 5 tin limit, as well.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Sounds pretty aromatic. I was hoping that with the DFK that it might be less so. How does this compare to Autumn Evening. Anyway, I love maple and DFK.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I'm interested in this blend, I just don't know if I am "only available in 8oz tins" interested. Hmmm.
I kind of felt the same way but at about $23 I figured it was a decent bet based on Jim's review. I paid almost that much for the 1.76oz tin of Peterson Navy rolls I'm smoking on now. If it doesn't just knock me over I'll jar up most of it and use the rest for blending experiments. Burley or Va addition, maybe latakia. Always something to try.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I kind of felt the same way but at about $23 I figured it was a decent bet based on Jim's review. I paid almost that much for the 1.76oz tin of Peterson Navy rolls I'm smoking on now. If it doesn't just knock me over I'll jar up most of it and use the rest for blending experiments. Burley or Va addition, maybe latakia. Always something to try.
Yeah, I also considered that I spent as much for less before. But it's not about the price (which is a pretty good deal compared to 1.76oz/50g tins costing $15-20)... it's about the space it takes up and my lack of storage area, and that it will take up said space for a potentially long time.

I ordered some anyway.

Tom-202

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
Totally agree. I find such reviews clinical.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Totally agree. I find such reviews clinical.
That's actually what I like about Jim's reviews. No poetic nonsense, just tells you what flavors exist in what degrees. That's far more useful than "I luv dis 1 it am taste like my mommas casserole" or something. I don't know what your mother's casseroles taste like, it's not helpful. I also don't care what someone does or does not like, since everyone's tastes are different.

A "clinical review" gives me an idea what to expect and I can better know if I will like it. What I want to know is a general flavor profile and if it's consistent or rough or pungent or whatever, how long flavor lasts, etc. That's way more useful to me, and many others.

If you don't like his reviews, and he's the only one to write them like he does, then go read someone else's reviews. But there's no need to come in and troll.