Jim's Sutliff Cringle Flake Holiday Edition 2019 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Several fermented, matured Virginias ranging from orange to red to dark brown provide a lot of very tangy dark fruit, tart citrus (with minute acidity), plenty of wood and earth, some sugary stewed fruit (plums, dates, figs) and bread, light grass, lemon, floral and spice notes, along with touches of sour and vinegar. There are light toppings: raisin, figs, and prunes, but they don't have sublimate the tobaccos much, and compliment/enhance the qualities of the dark red Virginia. While I tend to notice the aspects of the darker Virginia (sugary stewed fruit, earth, wood, dark fruit) a tad more than the others, the percentages of the various Virginias are inconsistent from flake to flake, so what your taste buds observe will change as you smoke a bowl, and from bowl to bowl. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a step past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but it does have a minimal rough edge here and there. The broken flakes are a tad moist, but I saw no need to dry them. They easily break apart to suit your packing preference. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow with a woody, earthy, lightly sour, spicy and savory, deep, ever evolving complex, very tangy and tart sweet flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, but it will require some relights. Has a very pleasant, mildly lingering after taste and room note. Not quite an all day smoke for the inexperienced, but it may be for the veteran. Three stars due to the inconsistent flavors, but four stars overall for the complexity and age potential. I suggest a wide bowl (pot, egg, author) to capture all of the nuances.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
My first smoke of Cringle Flake was extremely disappointing. The tin aroma was pure vinegar. I should mention that I DESPISE the smell and taste of vinegar. I knew from the feel and smell that I would need to let the first smoke have some ample drying. I thought I had done that. However, the smoke was the taste of a bad dressing. Nothing but vinegar. I know some people equate vinegar with McClellands. I never got that but, I was never crazy about their VAs (their Orientals though, tops). I got a nice bout of flu for Xmas and the Cringle Flake was left to the tin because I was not up to jarring after a day of work with the flu. I decided to give the Cringle another go a few days ago. This time I dried to the ‘near crispy’ stage. This made a world of difference. I have several tins and am now tempted to pursue more. Dried to this stage, the the flavor of a mild, yet flavorful VA came forward a la SG Golden Glow. I am excited about the aging potential of this one.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Several fermented, matured Virginias ranging from orange to red to dark brown provide a lot of very tangy dark fruit, tart citrus (with minute acidity), plenty of wood and earth, some sugary stewed fruit (plums, dates, figs) and bread, light grass, lemon, floral and spice notes, along with touches of sour and vinegar. There are light toppings: raisin, figs, and prunes, but they don't have sublimate the tobaccos much, and compliment/enhance the qualities of the dark red Virginia. While I tend to notice the aspects of the darker Virginia (sugary stewed fruit, earth, wood, dark fruit) a tad more than the others, the percentages of the various Virginias are inconsistent from flake to flake, so what your taste buds observe will change as you smoke a bowl, and from bowl to bowl. The strength and taste levels are medium. The nic-hit is a step past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but it does have a minimal rough edge here and there. The broken flakes are a tad moist, but I saw no need to dry them. They easily break apart to suit your packing preference. Burns cool, clean, and a little slow with a woody, earthy, lightly sour, spicy and savory, deep, ever evolving complex, very tangy and tart sweet flavor from start to finish. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, but it will require some relights. Has a very pleasant, mildly lingering after taste and room note. Not quite an all day smoke for the inexperienced, but it may be for the veteran. Three stars due to the inconsistent flavors, but four stars overall for the complexity and age potential. I suggest a wide bowl (pot, egg, author) to capture all of the nuances.
Thanks Jim. Great, helpful review. Your description of the sweet/sour that is experienced is exactly the kind of sizzle that makes one want to go out and stock up! Another one well done!

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks Jim. Great, helpful review. Your description of the sweet/sour that is experienced is exactly the kind of sizzle that makes one want to go out and stock up! Another one well done!
Thank you for the kind words. Glad to be of help.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim.
What is your comparison to Cringle Kake and 507-c

There's no comparison. 507-C is a cirtusy, grassy one dimensional golden flake with no reds, so the flavor profile is completely different from a complicated red and orange Va. Cringle Kake.

Reactions: k9shag

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Thanks the reason I asked is complicated. For 5 years I only smoked Red Ribbon and 5100 (mostly red ribbon) 2 years ago I was asked to try a few ounces of 507-C which I thought at the time was awful. I rubbed out the remainder of what I had and jarred it. Cringle Kake arrived and reminded me of the McClelleand reds. Today I pulled out the jar of 507-C and loved the sweetness 22 months in a jar had given it.

Status
Not open for further replies.