Jim's Sutliff Cringle Flake 2023 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Picked up some tins tonight. I’ve enjoyed all the Cringle Flakes- even and especially with there ingredient variations. So, I’ll enjoy an oriental component this year!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
This goes on sale December 5 at 6 p.m. EST.

The stoved Katerini offers plenty of fermented stewed, creamy, sugary sweetness, spice, earth, wood, smoke, herbs, floralness, vegetation, sourness, some tangy citrus and dark fruit, peat, and light incense as the lead component. The last of the 2003 perique produces plenty of fermented stewed raisins, figs, plums, dates, earth, wood, spice, and light sugar, It plays around the same level as the red Virginias although some of its aspects are similar enough to the Katerini to reduce the status of the Virginias to an important secondary support role. The well aged American grown red Virginias provides an abundance of fermented tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, some sugar, tangy citrus, grass, floralness, vegetation, and light vinegar. The overall strength and taste levels gain a little potency by the first third of the experience. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of medium to strong. The taste is almost full. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough notes. The easily broken apart flakes are not very moist. Well balanced with a little complexity, it burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a mostly consistent sweet, fruity, spicy, floral, smoky, mildly sour, savory flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl. Requires a few relights. May be close to an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2023
10 cans...

Damn you JL. :)

Reactions: Chalaw87

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Got my tins for this season. Second tobacco purchase this year, the other was sun bear. I buy these two every year.

Reactions: Chalaw87

jacot23

Lurker
Nov 1, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I got 5 tins, one for a gift. I really like this blend quite a bit. I’ll probably get some more while I can. Which brings me a thought…

@JimInks (or anyone else), does Sutliff(or any blender) have a similar regular production blend like this?

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I got 5 tins, one for a gift. I really like this blend quite a bit. I’ll probably get some more while I can. Which brings me a thought…

@JimInks (or anyone else), does Sutliff(or any blender) have a similar regular production blend like this?
I'm afraid not.

• Sad
Reactions: jacot23

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
This goes on sale December 5 at 6 p.m. EST.

The stoved Katerini offers plenty of fermented stewed, creamy, sugary sweetness, spice, earth, wood, smoke, herbs, floralness, vegetation, sourness, some tangy citrus and dark fruit, peat, and light incense as the lead component. The last of the 2003 perique produces plenty of fermented stewed raisins, figs, plums, dates, earth, wood, spice, and light sugar, It plays around the same level as the red Virginias although some of its aspects are similar enough to the Katerini to reduce the status of the Virginias to an important secondary support role. The well aged American grown red Virginias provides an abundance of fermented tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, some sugar, tangy citrus, grass, floralness, vegetation, and light vinegar. The overall strength and taste levels gain a little potency by the first third of the experience. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of medium to strong. The taste is almost full. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough notes. The easily broken apart flakes are not very moist. Well balanced with a little complexity, it burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a mostly consistent sweet, fruity, spicy, floral, smoky, mildly sour, savory flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl. Requires a few relights. May be close to an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2023
Best new blend I've had since McClelland closed. Amazing stuff. Just ordered a second round.