Jim's Sutliff Birds of a Feather Anomalous Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This is the next of Per George Jensen's Birds of a Feather series, It goes on sale Wednesday.

The fermented Katerini perique provides a wealth of sugary stewed fruits (plums, raisins, figs, tangy dark fruit), spice, earth, wood, vegetation, and a fair amount of herbal floralness with small incense and smoke notes. It is the lead component by effect and not percentage. The red, stoved, and lighter Virginia cavendish combine to create an abundance of fermented tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, sugar, vegetative grass, some stewed dark fruit, tart and tangy citrus, mild floralness, spice, light sour lemon, peat, and a hint of vinegar as strong supporting players. The nutty, earthy, woody, bready, burley is a condiment. I suspect a pinch of dark fired is in the mix due to a very light barbecue note. The strength is a couple of steps past the medium mark. The taste is a notch ahead of that. The nic-hit is a slot past the medium threshold. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. It’s fairly smooth with a few minute rough notes. The easily broken apart crumble slices may require a light dry time although I did not do that. Well balanced with some depth and body, it burns cool, clean and slow with a very consistent burst of fermented fruits, sugar, a moderate amount of spice, floralness with a light smoky, barely nutty, piquant flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a bit more potent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Four stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sounds really good. It's funny I don't tend to really read reviews but some get me from the start and man that sounds really good is what I am saying. Nice. Though maybe next time get them to send me a tin for no reason otherwise then I want one before telling everyone how good it is. ;).

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I snagged a few tins while visiting McCranies. The description on the label sounded really good but Mr Jim’s review makes the blend sound even better.

Reactions: JimInks

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Thank you, as always, for the review. Looks like this one gives the clearest presentation of the Katerini Perique as there ever will be. The others have been great, but this feels like the main event.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you, as always, for the review. Looks like this one gives the clearest presentation of the Katerini Perique as there ever will be. The others have been great, but this feels like the main event.
I've smoked Katerini perique straight. Never had any kind of perique manufactured that was better, and I smoked straight perique from several companies. I'm sure there's a lot of people would buy straight KP just to smoke it as a blend.