PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The very spicy, earthy, woody, tartly plumy, very sour perique is one of the leading players whose spice and plum content surpasses that of Kentucky by a couple of steps. It has virtually no sweetness despite the presence of the tart plum. The double fermented, very fragrantly floral, peaty, smoky, slightly sweet dark fired Kentucky provides plenty of earth, wood, herbs, some spice, nuts, vegetation, and sourness along with a mild essence of barbecue, and slight cigar and bitter cocoa notes. The Kentucky leads the other varietals with the exception of the aforementioned stand out attributes of the perique. The fermented, matured red Virginia offers a lot of tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, vegetation, bread, light sugar and vinegar along with a couple pinches of spice. It’s a couple of notches above the condiment level. The properties of the matured bright Virginia are tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, some sour lemon, floralness, light sugar and acidity in a condimental role. The strength and nic-hit are a slot short of the center of medium to strong. The taste threshold is in that center. It won’t bite, but it does sport a few rugged edges. The loosely held together cake easily breaks apart to suit your packing preference, and requires no dry time. Deeply rich and well balanced with nuanced complexity, it burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a very consistent spicy, floral, mildly smoky sweet and rather dryly sour, savory, punchy flavor that translates to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. The room note has a little potency, but not enough to scare away the neighbors. Not an all day smoke, and is more for the repeatable for the veteran than it is to those less experienced in blends of this genre. Four stars.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The very spicy, earthy, woody, tartly plumy, very sour perique is one of the leading players whose spice and plum content surpasses that of Kentucky by a couple of steps. It has virtually no sweetness despite the presence of the tart plum. The double fermented, very fragrantly floral, peaty, smoky, slightly sweet dark fired Kentucky provides plenty of earth, wood, herbs, some spice, nuts, vegetation, and sourness along with a mild essence of barbecue, and slight cigar and bitter cocoa notes. The Kentucky leads the other varietals with the exception of the aforementioned stand out attributes of the perique. The fermented, matured red Virginia offers a lot of tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, vegetation, bread, light sugar and vinegar along with a couple pinches of spice. It’s a couple of notches above the condiment level. The properties of the matured bright Virginia are tart and tangy citrus, grass, bread, some sour lemon, floralness, light sugar and acidity in a condimental role. The strength and nic-hit are a slot short of the center of medium to strong. The taste threshold is in that center. It won’t bite, but it does sport a few rugged edges. The loosely held together cake easily breaks apart to suit your packing preference, and requires no dry time. Deeply rich and well balanced with nuanced complexity, it burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a very consistent spicy, floral, mildly smoky sweet and rather dryly sour, savory, punchy flavor that translates to the pleasantly long lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. The room note has a little potency, but not enough to scare away the neighbors. Not an all day smoke, and is more for the repeatable for the veteran than it is to those less experienced in blends of this genre. Four stars.
I don't believe I've ever read you subscribing to the board mania for drying, drying, drying down your tobacco.

Reactions: JimInks

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks for the review Jim! Sounds more different than 140 than I expected! I loved 140th and am also looking forward to my 3 tins of 145 arriving!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't believe I've ever read you subscribing to the board mania for drying, drying, drying down your tobacco.
When I'm reviewing, I don't like to dry out the tobacco because I believe my reviews should reflect the blends as they are originally presented. There have been a few times when I was forced to dry a review blend out a little because it was so wet, it was a major problem to smoke it. That is the exception, and not the rule.

For my personal smoking, I mostly do the same thing, unless FVF, SJF or some of the usual suspects need some dry time so I don't end up with cement towards the last quarter of the experience.

By the same token, I used to do a light hydration on D&R blends, but I changed my thinking on that about three years ago. I like the ease of how they smoke, and the flavor as well, so I take them as they are. I find some dry blends like Semois do well as they are, but generally, I'm not crazy about crispy bone dry tobacco. And Semois can mold, so I'd never consider hydrating it.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
When I'm reviewing, I don't like to dry out the tobacco because I believe my reviews should reflect the blends as they are originally presented. There have been a few times when I was forced to dry a review blend out a little because it was so wet, it was a major problem to smoke it. That is the exception, and not the rule.

For my personal smoking, I mostly do the same thing, unless FVF, SJF or some of the usual suspects need some dry time so I don't end up with cement towards the last quarter of the experience.

By the same token, I used to do a light hydration on D&R blends, but I changed my thinking on that about three years ago. I like the ease of how they smoke, and the flavor as well, so I take them as they are. I find some dry blends like Semois do well as they are, but generally, I'm not crazy about crispy bone dry tobacco. And Semois can mold, so I'd never consider hydrating it.
I've often wondered on some reviews I've read of yours if you dried the tobacco out at all. This is good to know. I wish I could smoke tobacco as it comes in the tin, but more often than not i find I get a better overall experience if I dry my tobacco, from how it burns to the flavor I get. Also I live in an area where the humidity often peaks out at 100%, so on those days I always make sure my tobacco is very dry to begin with.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My order of this arrived on Saturday and I had my first bowl on Sunday.

This is a fantastic blend! I can't review like @jiminks but I will say this is a nicely complex, deep, and savory blend. The VAs are quality and bring their A game to the party. The Perique is integrated really well and I got less spice and more plum on the retrohale. I don't like really spicy blends and this did not overwhelm me. All through the bowl there is a savory (bread?, butter?) quality that I just don't get out of other blends. I wish I could describe this component better.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess the dark fired is what brings this savory quality and it wasn't as noticeable/dominant as I find it to be in other blends. It might also be what really brings the integration of the VA and Perique to the level it has. Just very well balanced.

The tin note is a fantastic raisin smell with a little bread(?) or something. I sliced some of the cake off with a knife and it rubbed apart just beautifully. With zero dry time it packed, lit, and burned very easily. It smoked slow and cool. I had just a couple of relights but those were only because I wasn't paying attention.

I ordered 10 tins which is enough to last me a really long time but I suspect after I have a few more bowls I'll order another 10 tins.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
And Semois can mold, so I'd never consider hydrating it.
That's incredible! I saw a youtube clip of the guy making the stuff and he was roasting it in a barrel under a fire. I've smoked some. It came about as dry as the old leaf you got in a bag of Bull Durham, which I never received other than powder dry.

Reactions: dcon and JimInks

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Great review, as alway, Jim. My order just arrived and I am working on the first bowl. On the positive side, this handles about as well as any cake that I have ever smoked. This started out a little spicier and a little more DF-laden than I would have hoped. Midway through the bowl, the smoke mellows out but, still no expected ‘pluminess’. There was nothing exceptional in the last half though, a little floral note appeared. I am initially not very impressed. I am glad for the experience of adding this to the ”collection“ but, I am just as happy that I did not go deep on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.