PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Had it in my cart, ready to go, but alas I was lured away by a 3.5oz tin of Black Mallory that was in stock. Maybe next time as this does sound quite nice.

Jul 12, 2011
Just got a tin the other day and tried it in a Stanwell (45)....I now know why SP has it sold out right now....it is just that GOOD :worship:
@Jim, as always your review of this blend was "spot on", thank you my friend :puffy:

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Jim: I have a more distinct tasting ability than anyone I personally know (not saying much), and I am amazed at what you can define so eloquently. Amazing really. Does that tasting ability extend to aged meats and whiskeys? I have some questions:
Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg 10, or Lagavulin 16?
Grass-fed angus vs Wagyu vs grain-fed virgin-massaged Kobe?
Seriously, thanks for your efforts.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you for the very kind words, SmokinDragon,Tkcolo, and Tennsmoker.
Tk: I'm not really a drinker, so I'd have to pass there. Steak, I am better at. No expert there either, though anybody who wants to cook those steaks for me is very welcome to do it!!! :D

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
OK, I’ve had a chance to smoke this more and in the pipe, Jim’s review is excellent. The tin note, for me, is awful, but in the pipe, it’s pretty nice stuff. Usually, I can smell a blend and know how it will taste. Not this one. It’s a mindbender. It’s not one I’ll be loading up on, though.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Yesterday, I was smoking with friends from the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club and passed around my tin of 2016 140th Anniversary Blend. Nearly everyone who smelled it thought it smelled really weird. A couple mentioned that it smelled like a forest floor. Finally, a fellow spied the tin and asked if it was 140th. I handed it to him and when he opened it, he was perplexed. He couldn't believe it was the same blend he had tried when it first came out a few years ago. It didn't look the same and most certainly didn't smell the same. He said that he thought it had spoiled or at least fermented in a bad way and recommended that I don't smoke it.
Have any of you recently opened a tin from the original release and also had some fresh in 2016? If so, did your tobacco change dramatically for the worse in the tin?

Status
Not open for further replies.