PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As this blend is available again (at Smoking Pipes), and I've been asked questions about it, I thought I'd post my review for those interested:
The red Virginias are mildly tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth and a touch of spice. The bright Virginias have some citrus along with a little grass, though there is less of latter aspect than expected. Both Virginias compete and complement each other. The dark fired florets from Italy add a little wood, mild spice, a slight cigar note, and a more obvious floral quality. The cigar florets are processed from dark fired Italian burley off cuts. Background support comes from the woody, buttery sweet and sour, lightly spicy Orientals. The citrus topping sports a mildly sweet richness, contrasted by the addition of the mediumly floral essence of wild flowers. The floralness of this blend creates a European feel to the very smooth, consistent flavor. It never weakens or gets harsh, and will not bite even if pushed. It does moderately tone down the tobaccos. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. The strength is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is at the medium threshold, mostly due to the addition of the wild flowers. Well blended with some nuance, it burns at a reasonable pace, requiring few relights. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers, and the room note is mildly sweet and floral. It’s close to an all day smoke for the experienced piper, and a good starter for those just exploring blends in this genre.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Mr. Inks, I just wanted to hop in and give a most sincere thank you for all the tireless reviews you’ve written. I’ve often made purchasing decisions based on what your thoughts are on a given blend.
Thank you sir.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thank you for the very kind words, and I'm pleased my reviews have been of help to you, Diamondback.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Jim's a god among men to be sure. I've bought many blends I've never tasted based on his reviews. If anyone has it spot on, Jim does... :worship:

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Reading the reviews and the product description, I was expecting something more obviously aromatic or at least more floral in my just-opened tin from 2016. It's not floral in the mode of bergamot or geranium, but more like what I get from Tabac Manil's Belgian semois tobaccos. I can't find the citrus, either. The dominant aroma is of composting grass clippings. Perhaps it is the double-fermented florets which is giving it the composted aroma. I have not previously smoked a blend containing that type of tobacco, so I don't know what to expect
I'm also wondering if 30 months in the tin has dramatically changed the blend. The leaves are all quite dark, ranging from a milk chocolate to a dark chocolate tone and look to be in perfect smoking condition.
What other blend would be the closest comparison to this one, Jim?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Off the top of my head, I can't think of a comparable blend, and I don't think there is one. The color of the tobacco was a little more varied when freshly opened, but not by a whole lot.
C&D's Dreams of Kadath is a bit floral, but it a different way as Katerini is the reason for that experience. I would not compare the two blends, but you may find it more to your liking.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
CraigintheCorn: C&D's Sansepolcro has some of the Italian dark fired florets.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my Sansepolcro review do you can compare:
The very woody, earthy, Italian dark fired florets have a multiplicity of flavors, and takes the lead. They do offer a mild floralness, a touch of smoke, a little nuttiness, and a sweet and dry savory quality to them, the latter characteristics being the main feature of the lingering after taste. The spiciness is mild, and is more like the kind one would use in cooking rather than having a peppery quality to them, though the pepper is a little noticeable. As an important secondary player, the red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit and mildly citrusy sweet with a light fermented quality that reminds me of stewed fruit (raisins and prunes). It also provides a touch of spice, grass, bread, and some earth, and is a shade more perceptible in the last third of the proceedings. Well blended and well balanced, you’ll observe most of the inherent aspects of the tobaccos in the majority of puffs. The strength level is just past medium while the taste is medium to full. The nic-hit is medium. While there is a roughness to the blend, it won’t bite, and has no dull or harsh moments. Burns at a little less than a moderate pace, cool and clean with a very consistent taste. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, but does need a few relights. Has a sweet, pungent room note. Not an all day smoke, but the experienced smoker will certainly find it repeatable.

Jul 12, 2011
All Jim's reviews... :worship:
I just snagged a tin on my recent order, can not wait to try it, my mouth was watering reading Jim's review of this blend. I'm fortunate to have my tastes be "spot on" with Jim's reviews, so I know I will get what I'm looking for when trying new blends.
Thank you , thank you Jim for all your reviews

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Opened a tin this weekend and smoked a couple of bowls, absolutely loved it. Very light on the flavoring/casing, good tobacco flavors. Ordered several more tins to cellar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And Jim's fun to hang around with at a pipe show.....
Now, what about these florets? From what plant(s) Or are they tobacco florets? Are they used in many blends?

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Yes, they are a byproduct from the Italian cigar making process. There aren't too many pipe tobaccos that use them, C&D Sansepolcro contains them also.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For whatever reasons, I have missed Savinelli as a source of blends, and I am intrigued with this red Virginia based blend surfacing (for me anyway) just as McClellands retires from the field leaving room for other good Virginia blends. This certainly sounds like a blend to watch, and perhaps try.

Status
Not open for further replies.