Jim's McClelland 40th Anniversary Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Wow that went pretty fast. Guess I will have to check my B&M and keep my fingers crossed, I would love to cellar a few of those babies, along with the past few christmas cheers I'm aging.. Enjoy!!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi Jim.
Question: You write "The nic-hit is just past the mild mark. The strength level is a couple steps shy of the center of mild to medium, while the taste almost reaches that threshold."
1. How does strength differ from nicotine?

2. How does strength differ from taste?

3. In short, would you write your definitions for these words?
Trying to understand more about your fab reviews.
Mike

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Think of it in terms of beer. You can have a low alcohol content beer with a deep taste, or you can have a high alcohol content beer that is weak in flavor. You can get a head rush from a blend with strong Virginias, but that doesn't necessarily mean the tobacco has a high nicotine content. And by the same token, the richness of the flavor may not match the strength of the nicotine.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I don't mean to be a pest about this, and unless the discussion prospers, I will bow out.
In my lexicon only two words, in general, describe tobacco, body or nicotine and taste, both of which you use. So to me the examples of the strong VAs that cause a head rush can only be from the nicotine, but you say it isn't so. Thus in this example lives the third term "strength," which I find elusive.
I appreciate the education.
Mike

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If the tobacco has a strength beyond the nic-hit - and I am not referring to flavor here - then it deserves a separate mention. For example earthiness from a tobacco like FVF can add strength, but not necessarily a lot of nicotine as FVF's nicotine level is a step or two below mild to medium, while the strength level is mild to medium. Can't explain any better than I have in the last two posts.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think the difficulty is that you can taste and describe tobacco in a way I cannot. Thank you for your replies. Mike

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Great review, JimInks. Even before joining this forum I've loved catching up on your reviews on the TR. On the tobacco, I really really was surprised by this blend and enjoyed it immensely. It has real complexity in the flavor that went beyond a simple straight VA. I hope McC continues to make it for us all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Woop: thanks for the kind words. Yes, this blend is not a limited edition, so when it sells out, more will be on the way.

gunr

Lurker
Jun 12, 2017
Smoking pipes had some earlier today. 6/13.
Great review Sir I for sure have enjoyed reading them.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Thanks for the review Jim, I am going to wait for about 5 years plus to open my tins, upon which time you may need to review again with an aged tin, strictly for academic purposes. :lol:

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
In all seriousness, this stuff is incredibly good fresh, too. I can promise it is worth opening one of those tins now.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Finally managed to snap a tin. I got to smell it in Chicago and it smelled wonderful in the tin, but forgot to get some while there. Can't wait to fire up a bowl later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.