PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The official release date is Wednesday, April 5th at 6:00 p.m. EST.

The aged sun cured Basma and Izmir provide a wealth of floralness, earth, wood, vegetation, herbs, a fair amount of bitter sourness, some spice, mild buttery sweetness, and light incense as the lead components. The mature red Virginias produce some tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, tart citrus, mild sugar, light grass, floralness, a pinch of spice, and a bare hint of vinegar. They are a slot below a full support role, and their inherent sweetness is the most obvious contribution. The strength is two and a half steps past the medium threshold. The taste edges past that mark. The nic-hit is a notch below the overall strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh. It does have a few rough edges. The fairly dense plug is mildly moist, and not hard to cut, though there area few veins to cut through. As is my custom, I did not dry it for review nor did I see a need to do so. I recommend cutting the plug down the side as the individual varietals are layered if you want a more consistent smoking experience. Burns cool, clean and slow with a mostly consistent, moderately sweet and rather sour, floral, mildly spicy, savory flavor that extends to the pleasantly lingering after taste. The room note is a tad pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. Three stars.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This series seems really special. Like I feel like most of GLPease stuff is more about skill and finesse then creativity. This series seems like the letting his hair down and stretching out his legs a bit. Another way to put it. Usually his blends appeal to me on the oh that sounds good in the same way a prime steak sounds good. This series so far sounds interesting, like even if I don't enjoy the blend I still really want to try it (Erinmore and Mixture 79 fit into the same category).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
God, do I ever love what Pease produces for us!!
I know I haven't had much of his out put. But every single one I've tried has been my special occasion smoke (the special occasion is often just I really want to enjoy my pipe today, like really enjoy it). But I never smoke any of his stuff regularly because I don't want it to ever feel regular.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Your review's referencing a "fair amount of bitter sourness" certainly turns me off to this. I typically like oriental-heavy, non-latakia blends, but, after recently buying what I think was a mislabeled blend from SP which produces a bitter sour flavor which never used to be the case and which I did not like, will be avoiding both of these in the future.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Your review's referencing a "fair amount of bitter sourness" certainly turns me off to this. I typically like oriental-heavy, non-latakia blends, but, after recently buying what I think was a mislabeled blend from SP which produces a bitter sour flavor which never used to be the case and which I did not like, will be avoiding both of these in the future.
Sour and bitter are not atypical of Orientals so I had to mention it, of course. That actually dies down a little if you let the tobacco breathe a bit. I should have been more exact and listed those two aspects seperately as the bitter note is rather mild. I will change that in my TR review, and I thank you for pointing it out. As for your other observation, it may be that a component was changed.

Reactions: UncleRasta

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

"Taste chemistry" (for lack of a better term) varies a lot from person to person. No small amount of it is actually attributable to genetics, believe it or not:

In short, while tobacco reviews can tell you about things like constituent ingredients, humidity level, density, container quality, and so forth, they can't tell you what a given blend is going to taste like to YOU.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
This series seems really special. Like I feel like most of GLPease stuff is more about skill and finesse then creativity. This series seems like the letting his hair down and stretching out his legs a bit. Another way to put it. Usually his blends appeal to me on the oh that sounds good in the same way a prime steak sounds good. This series so far sounds interesting, like even if I don't enjoy the blend I still really want to try it (Erinmore and Mixture 79 fit into the same category).
Perhaps I’m confused or misinformed or both but I thought Anomalous was a Per Georg Jensen blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like to see that Pease is releasing a lot of blends lately, I hope they keep coming. I’ve heard great things about Bankside and this one sounds like a winner too! I’m glad we got another plug coming! All his plugs have been excellent! Temple Bar, Jackknife & Triple Play being my favorite so far.